ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage on Microsoft Surface Pro

Question ArtRage on Microsoft Surface Pro

I've heard mention that ArtRage users are using ArtRage on the Surface Pro, but I was hoping someone on here could describe the performance of the application--someone who uses it for non-trivial paintings. My computer now isn't very good, and larger water color brushes and knifes cause some lag when painting--I'm okay with that as long as normal sized brushes do not cause any lag. I'm also not drawing on really large canvases, usually just the size of my screen.

Is there anyone here that uses a Surface Pro regularly and could describe how ArtRage performs on it?

Thanks.

Artrage on the Surface Pro

I've been using ArtRage 4 on the Surface Pro for about eight months now and I'm pretty satisfied. I use it with a Microsoft Wedge Keyboard and mouse but mostly I use the pen which I like very much. It's great to have a portable tablet and the screen size is ok for me. I am a newbie however and I'm not sure about the art I'm producing? I haven't noticed any delay problems.

There are some connectivity problems. It will occasionally drop the wifi connection for no apparent reason when I'm using the battery. I have to plug it in and restart the computer.

I don't have much to compare it with. I used to use the iPad app but that's it. I've seen the ads for the Wacom drawing tablets and they are tempting but for now I'm I'm ok with the Surface Pro.
    Salubria

Thanks for the info. If it's works for general purpose drawing and painting, that's all I need. I'm just a hobbyist and I'm thinking nothing can be as slow as my old Dell desktop computer. I would probably try to use the Pen-only Toolbar that I saw here on the forums--at least until ArtRage has a more touch-friendly interface.

Or who knows--maybe their android offering will be good enough for me and I can save a little and buy an android tablet instead of the surface pro. I just think I would like the surface pro the best because I could run the same ArtRage 4 that I run on my desktop.

Thanks again for the info!

rscottfree, Artrage is not supported on any of the android platforms at present, it does have to be a Windows tablet or an Ipad tablet to work. There could be support for Android in the future but I am not sure.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hey, the pen only toolbar is fun! I'm glad to seeing it get some traction around here . I need to upload the newest version we were working on. It's got some additional improvements.

Definitely works really well with a slate. Also, on the Surface Pro, you can zoom, pan, and rotate the canvas with touch input, which is wonderfully functional.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Thanks Steve B. I wouldn't even consider the surface pro if it weren't for that toolbar!

Surface Pro Ė A few general questions

I see that Artrage 4 requires Windows 8 to be in the Desktop Mode and I wonder if that changes anything. At first the Surface Pro did not have the correct pressure sensitive stylus drivers and now thatís fixed but Iím still skeptical if there may be any other issues.

Iím leaning towards the Surface Pro but any other tablet suggestions will be appreciated. I see that an iPad 2 is priced around 350 and I wonder if that would works as well. There are so many tablets out there now and I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
    Bill

I'm using a current top of the line iPad and there are still issues of memory problems, but if you save often it's reliable and the time between memory dumps is much larger than my first iPad did.

Gen 1 - Every hour or sooner, based on amount of layering and size of image.
    Gen 3 - 2-4 hours, based on amount of layering and size of image.

Suits my doodling needs and really can produce lovely detailed work. (I have a few iPad images in my gallery)

Thanks for the input. I really like your paintings!

I will definitely be considering the iPad2. Here is a link to an artist that has just started experimenting with digital painting and he used an iPad to create this landscape. He didnít use Artrage but rather a simple program called paper by 53. Iíd like to see what he would come up with using Artrage.
    The YouTube title is - ď Digital Landscape Painting Demonstration on an iPad by Ross Barbera ď

Iím also considering a few other tablets:
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T - ASUS VivoTab TF810C-C1-GR 11.6-Inch

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions and tips.

Bill

Regarding the Windows 8 desktop mode requirement, what we're referring to is that ArtRage won't run on Windows 8 RT. Windows 8 RT is the version of Windows 8 which Microsoft shipped with their Surface tablets and only allows applications from Microsoft's app store to be installed and these apps have to be specifically written for RT. The Surface Pro tablets have the full version of Windows 8 on them which you can install and use ArtRage on.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design