ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hiding a Canvas?

Hiding a Canvas?

I am super new/Novice to ArtRage3, and to graphic design and drawing as well. Can anyone please tell me how I can create a design with script and graphics, and then save it without the canvas background/box. I would like to import design to a t-shirt or mug and not have it surrounded by a white box/canvas.

Hello SunnyDee and welcome!
    Open the 'Canvas Settings' window and set the canvas 'Opacity' to 0% before exporting your image. This will leave you with just the painted areas only.
    Also make sure you export in a format that can support transparency, such images in the world of graphics are often referred to as having an 'Alpha Chanel'
    PNG (Portable Network Graphic) would be a good choice in AR or if you want to do more work on the image in another graphics program and still keep any layers you have in the painting, use PSD (Photo Shop Document) as your export choice.
    Hope this helps.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Hello SunnyDee,

I tried to reply to the PM you sent me, regarding this question, but it said you've set up your account to block replies, so I was unable to respond to you directly. It seems that markw has helped you out with the issue already though. Not sure if it's needed now but, just in case, here is the PM I tried to send you:

Welcome to the ArtRage forums

In order to remove the canvas, you'll need to set it's opacity to "0%". To do this, open your image in ArtRage and then select "View", followed by "Canvas Settings". That will open the Canvas panel. On the Canvas panel, you'll find an option to reduce the "Opacity". Set that option to "0%", to make the canvas transparent. With that done, close the Canvas Settings panel by clicking the small "X" in the upper right corner of the panel. Now you'll want to export the image in a format that allows for transparency. Go to "File" and select the "Export Image File..." option. That brings up the save window. Enter a file name for your image and then select the "PNG" option as your file type. Selecting PNG is important, because it is a lossless file type that will remember you have a transparent background. Click on "Save" and you should be all set.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks!

Thanks, yes I guess I hadn't completed my registration, but I guess I'll have to check my settings as well. Thanks for the response. Sounds like this will work. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello SunnyDee and welcome!
    Open the 'Canvas Settings' window and set the canvas 'Opacity' to 0% before exporting your image. This will leave you with just the painted areas only.
    Also make sure you export in a format that can support transparency, such images in the world of graphics are often referred to as having an 'Alpha Chanel'
    PNG (Portable Network Graphic) would be a good choice in AR or if you want to do more work on the image in another graphics program and still keep any layers you have in the painting, use PSD (Photo Shop Document) as your export choice.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to "meeting" more of you all as I follow the forums and grow in my knowledge and experience with ArtRage3. I'll give these suggestions a shot and see if I am successful. Thanks again!