Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A-10 Thunderbolt II work in progress

Thanks for doing this thread Dale, its always interesting to see another artists workflow!
    What resolution is the painting? I've found on my computer working much bigger than A3 @300dpi (my default for print) and the tool lag starts getting too uncomfortable for me.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 6.1.1 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.14.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Thanks for doing this thread Dale, its always interesting to see another artists workflow!
    What resolution is the painting? I've found on my computer working much bigger than A3 @300dpi (my default for print) and the tool lag starts getting too uncomfortable for me.
    You're welcome! And thank you! Well, I draw with the specs. for Fine Art America in mind, that is where I sell my work quite successfully (highly recommend artists use FAA). I made a .PDF guide for artists and photographers who use Fine Art America, but it actually is a good guide for anyone.

Because I do a lot of aviation art and landscapes, I typically work around 40" x 24" or sometimes 40" x 30" at 180 dpi or 200dpi. I don't usually go higher than that because my canvas is very big.

Here's my resolution guide, gleaned from information at Fine Art America, but made in an easy-to-read format: https://app.box.com/s/25du919yagnxh3ptz3lu

Thanks for that PDF and saying what resolution you like to work at. Very informative.
    Whilst I would never describe myself as a professional I am occasionally asked for work and the printers always ask for 300dpi/ppi images, so I've not really ventured above A3 in size. But your paintings on your website are still looking great even at the lower res. Larger sizes are definitely something for me to experiment with now I think. Thank you.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 6.1.1 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.14.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Thanks for that PDF and saying what resolution you like to work at. Very informative.
    Whilst I would never describe myself as a professional I am occasionally asked for work and the printers always ask for 300dpi/ppi images, so I've not really ventured above A3 in size. But your paintings on your website are still looking great even at the lower res. Larger sizes are definitely something for me to experiment with now I think. Thank you.
    You're welcome!

I even do my work at 180 dpi, but I'm still working at sizes like 40" x 24" and 40" x 30" so even then they still look very good. Fine Art America has a file size capped at 25 mb, so it's rather tricky getting a large print down to a small mb. I'm so used to dealing with huge file sizes with animations (which can exceed 4 GB) at times, and even my original Photoshop layered artwork is in the 100's of mb in size. Since FAA can only accept 25mb or lower to upload, I compromise slightly. 180 dpi or 200 dpi is fine for my tastes because I design my art at real size, I don't work at a lower scale at 300 dpi and then upload usually.

Work-In-Progress video of the A-10

Here is a time-lapse or I think it's called "speed-painting" video of my progress of the A-10. It's not really a speedy painting, it just means that I've sped up the time to within 10 minutes. The actual painting involved is about 45 minutes or so.

Digital painting of the A-10 Thunderbolt II. A work-in-progress in ArtRage 4. The recording has been sped up. Actual painting time was about 30-50 minutes.

By Dale Jackson 2013 www.StratoArt.com

Recorded with Camtasia.

More work on the A-10 - aft fuselage and wing

Engine and more of the aft fuselage is done, with it's oil can effect. I'm not quite satisfied with the colors, too much pink in there, but I'll look at it as a whole when it is done and correct colors then. Now on to paint the starboard wing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThunderboltII-wip12.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	76910

One more shot of the work-in-progress of the starboard wing before heading to sleep. Lots of work with the rulers to keep things nice and straight.. I'm just blocking in the initial paint on the wing for now and later will work on the leading edge, the pylon and the flap areas and the wingtip. All the markings will be done last.

Name:	ThunderboltII-wip13.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	76911

pencil study of background

Pencil study of the background I'm planning on for my A-10 Thunderbolt II painting. A thunderstorm unleashes a torrent of rain over rugged desert terrain. Lightning strikes in the distance.

Name:	ThunderboltII-landscape-pencil study-small.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	76943

Starting to paint the background of my A-10 Thunderbolt II painting. Starting with colors such as Payne's Grey, Mars Black, Sepia, Raw Umber, Brown Ochre, Indian Red, Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Desert Cream (this will be my white for the background). I'm starting at the bottom right corner and working right to left and upward. My pencil study is what I'm following. The study was done to establish light and dark values that I want. It shows a cloud burst of rain from a storm - with lightning at the base in the dark bands of distant rain.

Name:	ThunderboltII-wip15.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	76945
    Color setup for the background landscape.

Name:	ThunderboltII-landscape-pencil study-small.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	76946
    pencil study of light/dark values.

Nice work !!!!

Gonna be one hell of a painting ,

love how u have all those colour samples at the ready , u can use them on every new painting u create?

like its stored on ur harddisk?