ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Grandiflora

Grandiflora

The magnolias here are beautiful. I was very challenged trying to do this as I was trying to really sculpt the shape of the flower. Hopefully it all works together with the background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandiflora.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	76752  

Wonderful oil panting good work
    Visit my website here

Looks good.

I would suggest that white flowers feel more white when you think of the shadows as being more reflective of the blues in the sky. A comparison could be made with snow scenes, though perhaps not so intense in the shadows. Palettes depend on so many things. Context is everything.

But rather than using variants of black to just create a darker version of whatever color you're working with, you might also consider the color temperature -- cooler in the shadows a little lighter and warmer in the lights. I mean you're keeping a nice tight color range in this, but you might find that you can liven things up to where it isn't all about the modelling only.

Another ball to juggle (color), but it may suit you to give your flowers and paintings in general a little more vitality -- through color. You can ease into it. Doesn't have to be raw "tube colors" throughout. And that may resolve your issue where you were saying a satisfying conclusion was being a little elusive. That may be why. I think your shapes turn well enough for now. So that's why I was looking elsewhere for something that might suit your apparent intention. Flowers say color. And so using it is not a contradiction.

This kind of palette you're using looks better suited for fabric design, where the flower pattern is a support to the garment and the lady wearing it -- or sofa or wallpaper. In those cases tightening the color range speaks of sophistication. But we generally put flowers in a room as a color accent. And thus they can be brighter.

Nice stuff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Great looking flowers, Marilyn Ann