ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problem with playing script

Problem with playing script

I would be so very grateful if anyone can help me with this huge problem.
    I have recorded paintings before, but suddenly I have great problem and I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.

When I open the arscript of the painting I have done today, I can't resize it. The message in the Play Script window says "This script contains a full painting so it cannot be scaled before playback". When I playback I end up having the same small painting as before. I want to playback it in another size - but don't understand how I can do that.

I have recorded paintings begfore without trouble, normally I can chose to resize the painting directly when I playback the script - but not this time.
    What have I done wrong, and is it possible to resize this painting now when this has occured?
    I go nuts, I have worked so hard with it and for the moment I feel like putting a bucket over my head and just scream out loud :-O

Regards,
    Gaia from Sweden

You must have chosen the "Include Current Painting" option, when you began recording. That option limits the playback to sticking to the parameters of the original image, before you began to paint over it. I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix that (if it can be done at all). You could change the code on the script to unlock the options, but since the script is geared to using the size of the original image, everything will become thrown off in relation to it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Many thanks for the quick reply 'Someonesane'!
    You are right, when I started painting, I chose the canvas size and type, then I clicked record. Then I chosed "Include Current Painting" because I wanted to include the chosen canvas and all. I thought I had done the same before, but obvious not.
    In my manual it only says the include option will cause the file to be larger, nothing about not being able to resize it.
    So I guess the painting is lost, after reading your kind answer. It was really sad news because I had worked a full day with the painting.

If I want to resize I will never, ever, chose "Include Current Painting", right?

When do you have use for the option "Include Current Painting"?

No problem

The "Include Current Painting" option is intended for use on paintings that are already in progress. For example, I may start sketching for practice, but end up with something I'd like to take further. If I wanted to record that part of the process, I'd need to use the "Include Current Painting" option so that the playback would include the work I had already done. If I didn't, the playback would start with a blank canvas, rather then the sketch I already had started. That's why the manual mentions the size increase to the file, because in addition to the data needed to recreate the recorded strokes, the file also needs to contain the data for displaying the already completed part of the image. The reason you are locked out of the rescaling process, is probably because the previously completed part of the image wouldn't be getting redrawn. It'd only be getting pasted in place. Being a raster graphic at that point, resizing it would cause an undesired pixelation to it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank loads for the explanation, now I understand why you have that choice!
    I can feel that it should be clearly described in the manual resize can not be selected if you click the "Include Current Painting" option.

At it again then.... ;-)