ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Canvas in AR4 not true white when exported

Exclamation Canvas in AR4 not true white when exported

Hey-o!

So, this is an interesting dilemma I've had with ArtRage 4. Not a deal break by any means, still a huge fan of the product, but it does create an extra step in my workflow I wish could be avoided. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't print a lot of work... but I do

Anyway, even when all canvas colour settings are put to 255,255,255 (pure white), zeroing out hue, sat, etc... when exported as a TIF (jpg, png, doesn't matter) and opened in Photoshop or GIMP, if the canvas is colour picked it's lighter at the top (252-255) and darker at the bottom of the image (247-252). This means that I often need to adjust the colours in another program to achieve a pure white background, which can mean altering the colours of the painting itself. Not ideal!

Any thoughts on what's causing this? I'd be really happy to hear that I'd just missed a setting somewhere.
    Using ArtRage 4, updated fully, on Windows 8.

Thanks

Hi tali3sin and welcome!
    My first thought here is that I think this is happening because of the canvas lighting. As it simulates light coming down from the top, the bottom of the canvas will naturally be very slightly darker.
    If you really need the whole canvas to be pure white, turning it off should get you there.
    The down side to this is that you won't see the canvas or paint texture as there will be nothing to illuminate it.
    Another option maybe, would be to export the finished work as a PSD file. That would effectively make the canvas a separate layer at the bottom of the stack. You could then replace it with a new pure white background layer in the other app. This way would retain the paint textures on other layers but the white background canvas would now be a smooth white surface. This may or may not be desirable...
    Last edited by markw; 08-18-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

That's correct, the lighting model will be the reason you're seeing this.

ArtRage uses 3D lighting which is projected from the top left. As the bottom right is further away from the light source it will tend to be a little darker.

If you turn off lights by pressing F5 or by clicking the lightbulb in the canvas settings panel you'll remove all lighting but your paint strokes will no longer have a textured appearance as they rely on the lighting to produce this.

Similar to what markw suggested, you can remove the visible canvas via View -> Canvas settings then changing the opacity value to 0%. Then export your painting as a format which supports transparency e.g. PNG or PSD and open it in your other application. You can then place a pure which background beneath your media on a separate layer.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

It's definitely the canvas lighting, and "turning off" the paint texture is definitely undesirable. So it looks like the multilayer export is the way to go (for shirt prints etc)

Thanks for the suggestion! It's still another step in the work flow, but at least it's a better one :-)