ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Layer masks

Wink Layer masks

I've watched Stephen Berry's tutorial on layer masks, and yes i's great, however, for me .... rather complicated. Does anyone have any suggestions for easy use / ideas? Thanks.

Could you share the link to the video? It would be helpful to see what you've already been attempting.

Essentially, the concept of a mask is fairly simple, with it being a matter of selecting an area and then blocking that area off. How easy that task is, will depend on what you're expecting to do in your image and what you want to be able to achieve with the mask. It could be as easy as using the "Freehand" mode of the "Selection tool" to draw an outline of the area. Then again, it could be as involved as using a variety of tools to color over an area on a new layer, so that you can select that area using the "Select Layer Contents" option on the "Edit" menu. Then again... maybe you'd want to use Stencils for the mask? It all depends on the purpose.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Could you share the link to the video? It would be helpful to see what you've already been attempting.

Essentially, the concept of a mask is fairly simple, with it being a matter of selecting an area and then blocking that area off. How easy that task is, will depend on what you're expecting to do in your image and what you want to be able to achieve with the mask. It could be as easy as using the "Freehand" mode of the "Selection tool" to draw an outline of the area. Then again, it could be as involved as using a variety of tools to color over an area on a new layer, so that you can select that area using the "Select Layer Contents" option on the "Edit" menu. Then again... maybe you'd want to use Stencils for the mask? It all depends on the purpose.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNT2WowxGc This is the tutorial I've watched three times, and it is fab, but I am fairly unsophisticated, and merely trying to get the hang of it. Thank you so much for replying.

Layer masks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNT2WowxGc This is the tutorial I have been watching, and it is really good, but I am fairly unsophisticated using AR (probably not talented enough) but I do so enjoy it. Thank you for replying. Gwyneth.

AAAAHA Got it..... great YES!!! It was just that the tutorial was doing very complicated things and I need to know the very basic... VERY BASIC!!! THANKS FOR SUCH A SIMPLE EXPLANATION.
    Last edited by gepocock; 08-18-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gepocock View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNT2WowxGc This is the tutorial I have been watching, and it is really good, but I am fairly unsophisticated using AR (probably not talented enough) but I do so enjoy it. Thank you for replying. Gwyneth.

AAAAHA Got it..... great YES!!! It was just that the tutorial was doing very complicated things and I need to know the very basic... VERY BASIC!!! THANKS FOR SUCH A SIMPLE EXPLANATION.
    So you have it figured out now or do you still need some help?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.