ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hotei

Hotei

Hello,

I'm back working on my book illustrations. This one is of Hotei, aka the Laughing Buddha. I primarily used the Ink pen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotei.jpg 
Views:	3441 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	76673

He's wonderful!, cheery and so well painted.

I had to look him up: "Budai (Hotei) in folklore is admired for his happiness, plenitude, and wisdom of contentment. One belief popular in folklore maintains that rubbing his belly brings wealth, good luck, and prosperity."

Thank you, copespeak.

Hotei (as he is known in Japan) is also one of the Shichi Fukujin, or Seven Gods of Fortune in the Shinto mythology, who visit Japan every New Year to give celebratory presents. Many of the Fortune Gods were assimilated from Chinese folklore or Hindu mythology. Very fun figures to research and draw.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    He's wonderful!, cheery and so well painted.

I had to look him up: "Budai (Hotei) in folklore is admired for his happiness, plenitude, and wisdom of contentment. One belief popular in folklore maintains that rubbing his belly brings wealth, good luck, and prosperity."