ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style, media and other unanswered issues tobe resolved

Style, media and other unanswered issues tobe resolved

Some of the art tutorials I've been watching have stressed 'style' and the fact that every 'artist' needs their own. I can't aspire to the title of artist yet but I guess I should start on my unique style. I have no idea of how to do this or what medium to use. I made a quick comparison:
    Name:  test..jpg
Views: 291
Size:  166.1 KB

I've come to the following conclusions,
    1 Oils give the most vibrant colors.
    2 Pencils seem to be best for very detailed work but the colors are dull.
    3 Markers are fun, like when you get a box of them in grade school but are mainly for pros and cartoonists.
    4 Ink has possibilities but I have to master hatching.
    5 Gloop gun is fun but I haven't found a real use for it.
    6 My wife likes the airbrush because she used one professionally to decorate cakes, I don't share her excitement.
    7 Chalk seems pointless to me, I've tried it and can't catch on.
    8 Watercolors control pretty well but I don't like the weak colors.
    It seems that oils, pencils, and ink are my best bets BUT Artrage allows the rules to be broken. I can mix watercolors, oils, and ink in the same image, can't do that in real life. I can take the knife and give ink a soft blend or blur, can't do that in real life either. I struggled with these facts and decided, who cares? I can do whatever I want, technology in itself is a medium.

In this quest for style, I guess the only way is to try different things until I find something that works, is fun, and produces the results I want, but where to start? I'll probably upload several ideas and if they suck I really hope someone or everyone says " That sucks, it doesn't work for you" and I won't be upset.

So I'm soliciting opinions and ideas about 'style' and mediums, any thoughts will be valuable. I think my goal should be that I can upload a drawing and everybody says "Oh, that's George's work" based on the style rather than how crappy it looks.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Styles are like genre in music. You got Rock, Hip Hop, Salsa, EDM, etc. In the art world you've got surrealism, cubism, realism, landscapes, seascapes, portraits, just to mention a few. I think the style finds you after a while. Find your comfort zone. Build on that and your style will evolve.

I tend to liken ones art style to ones hand writing. It's not really intentionally modified, but rather developed through ones experiences and mannerisms. We're all taught how to write our alphabet, but the style of our writing, in terms of the way we loop back for our "B", cross our "T" or dot our "i", all comes from personal taste. I use my right hand, some use there left. That changes the tilt of the writing. It all relates. People tend to shift from one type of tool to another depending on what they feel comfortable with. There are standards to follow, but mainly you'll just grow into a specific "look" that people will recognize as yours. The idea should be to find a medium (or set of mixed medias) you enjoy using and develop your skills with them. Your style will just fall into place on it's own, based off of inspirational artists your like, methods you that suit your work flow and available tools.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Both of those comments make sense, I get the idea that I shouldn't try to hard and to just keep drawing and my 'uniqueness' will emerge by itself. I guess I thought it was one's brush strokes or color choices or something like that. Just being me is easier, sometimes.

There are three answers to this question (IMHO)

1. You got something to tell, to express...visually…
    2. so you got to have a way to tell it, a way to express it...visually...
    3. and you got to have a way to communicate your visual expressions...

First of all, the things you have to tell, the things you have to express, must have a place in your heart. You have to be honest about that. The personal touch to your works of art all comes from this, the honest, personal and heartfelt urge to tell. Tell about your life, about your dog, your game plays, your lovers, flowers, fantasy, whatever...just be honest and true to your heart.

Second: if you use digital means to tell and to express (like ArtRage), you got everything ready, it is just to start up and tell your story, in one single picture, or in several. Use the tools you like the most. The Oil Paint Brush, maybe? Be sure to read the software manual, look at videos on the Internet. You probably learn a bit from them. Read some good books on the subject. (Here is one I highly recommend: “Drawing Inspiration, visual artists at work” by Michael Fleichmann.) But most of all, practice, practice, practice. Have a cheap sketchbook near you everywhere you go. And some kind of pen or pencil, of course. Sketching frees your mind , eyes and hand. Be very personal about all images you make. Make them yours, make them speak your heart. Dont be shy, just fill your images in your sketchbook with lust, curiosity and Zen. Believe in you and in what you do. After all; nobody can paint and draw as you can. You own your way of expressing yourself.

Third: the ArtRage forum is one way to communicate your pictures, like you already do. There are several other forums too. These are all on the Internet where many, many interested people may watch what you are doing. Great! And you can print some of your paintings and exhibit them in the local cafe, mall or at home. You can print a book or make some postcards with your own motif, you can print a tee-shirt, a mouse mat or give some art away to your hospital or a school nearby. Communication is about getting feedback and being social. Try it! It can be rewarding...

Style is a matter of being true to the heart and expressing it honestly. This will probably, sooner or later, result in a clearly recognizable "style" that is YOU. It will be a part of your personality. Just like your handwriting is...just as Someonesane pointed out...

Be true to your heart...

Name:  heartandpencil.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  37.2 KB
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Henry and the others have sort of covered every aspect of style that I consider important to finding your own way.

The most important aspect (in my opinion) of style is that it is something that you enjoy and want to learn more about. If you enjoy it, you immerse yourself more deeply than if you try to use something that is not as interesting to you. The more fun and enjoyable it is to you, the more you will benefit and expand your personal skills and styles.

I personally enjoy the pencil, inks, oils and crayons more than anything else and I tend to use them all in my artworks.

Quote Originally Posted by MagenSparks View Post
    Henry and the others have sort of covered every aspect of style that I consider important to finding your own way.

The most important aspect (in my opinion) of style is that it is something that you enjoy and want to learn more about. If you enjoy it, you immerse yourself more deeply than if you try to use something that is not as interesting to you. The more fun and enjoyable it is to you, the more you will benefit and expand your personal skills and styles.

I personally enjoy the pencil, inks, oils and crayons more than anything else and I tend to use them all in my artworks.
    What I really want to draw is fantasy stuff, like this:

Name:  PALE_THING_ART.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  52.1 KB
    But it will be a very long time before I can do that.

So from now on every time I draw I'll sing "My way" and hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    What I really want to draw is fantasy stuff, like this:
    Personally, I'd use the Oil Brush, Pastel, and the Airbrush tools (with some Sticker Spray brushes) for that sort of image.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Maybe it won't help singing...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    So from now on every time I draw I'll sing "My way" and hope it helps.
    Maybe it won't help just singing...but there is one other way; practise, practise, practise...and study, study, study. Singing while doing this will sure help you along the hard road. But "My Way" is always the best. And painting fantasy just like the old masters oils is sure a hard way to start off the long journey of classical art, wich seems to be the road you want to go. If you like to read this, I think you maybe will find some answers: an article by Serge Birault on emulating old style Oil Painting. And this great book. Just for you to know about one of the greatest classical art teachers there is, if you have not heard of her, she is just great...I have her books. Juliette Aristides:_Classical_Painting_Atelier

Good Luck on Your Way!
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 08-13-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram