ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Ross, virtual Liquid White and Liquid Black

Bob Ross, virtual Liquid White and Liquid Black

Just importing a white or black image doesn't give you a surface that will suit BR style paintings. The paint seems to be 1/8"/3 mm thick.

These prepared PNGs are better. (There is a small "hole" in the paint to acheive this, bottom right hand corner. Just paint over it.)

Save these images and then import them and resize to suit your picture.
    Do not let them become JPGs during this process, they must stay as PNGs

Phil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

Bob Ross on line videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=buyable
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Would it be rude of me to ask how you did that? It's a fascinating effect, but maybe a little too strong for my taste.

Hi Newstech,

(Andy at Ambient told me how to do this.)

Just importing a picture give a strange effect, the paint behaves like a thick layer of coloured powder about 1/8" thick. This way it behaves like a thin coat of wet paint. A good traditional oils starting point.

Any original picture will do, I prepared a couple of these in Corel and then saved them as jpg,s. You could do it by getting a canvas to your liking in Artrage then exporting it before carrying out the procedure.

1. Using Import, bring in the picture that you want to prepare, by default Artrage will put this on to a white canvas.

2. "Drill" a fine hole in the corner of the painting with the Eraser, so the canvas colour shows through.

3. Export the picture as a .PNG, very important!

4. Import the picture again.

It now has a very thin coat of paint on it.

I will add a pic I've sent before to demonstrate the difference for new people. Liquid Black is on the right

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks much for your response, Phil. The effect is very neat, but it does seem to "swallow" the pigment in the paint you put on top of it, leaving what appears to be a pure white (or black?) "glop" that you can rake around on the canvas. I'm going to fool around with trying to unglopify it.
    --Newstech

Dear Phil.....I have copied both black and white versions...but the copies are automatically in bitmap form when you 'save'...these are in my pictures folder okay but as bitmap... and you have stated they must be kept in png.... or is this just when exporting from Artrage, and importing again...because I have noted that ANY picture exported and then imported again""wets"" the paint of the whole picture....ANY picture....... Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Verrrry interestingJack!

If you save the last one which is a png like the others then it's ok.

But the first two have to be "opened" and then they become bmp,s.

I'll make the first two smaller and see what happens.

Phil

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit

Fixed it!

These will save as PNGs and work properly!

Hi Newstech,

These should now be Glop free!
    (Their whole reason for being, was to be glop free!)

My apologies to everyone who down loaded the first version and my thanks to Jack for spotting the problem.

I will be having words with "The Management" elsewhere. :lol:

Phil

Dear Phil...are you going to re-post the white and the black papers at 800 pixel width,and in PNG...And I will have a go at saving them in PNG..Or are you going to do something different now?????..........Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Erm! Look up a bit Jack.

A piece of useful info from Andy.
    If the PNG doesnt open, then right click on the paper clip symbol and you can save it as a PNG.

If you open it first it changes into a bitmap.

Phil

I think I'm learning, from the glop perspective, that the most important thing is a light touch. If you dump paint from a tube and then use a heavy palette knife, you'll get weird white ridges. But if you back off on the pressure and draw the paint over the canvas gradually, and repeatedly, you can get stunning effects. I don't know that it's exactly analogous to any real-world behavior, but it's very nice all on its own. Thanks again.