ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Resolution?

Question Resolution?

Is it normal that the paint effects on oil/knife tool combo has very very bad resolution on closeup? My canvas res is 3808x4096px 600dpi !!! and I get very poor quality on the strokes?

I love the tools on this program, but if the resolution is not printable, I cannot use it for my works.

PLZ help
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	76550

Hi and welcome to the forums Michael.
    Two things occur to me with the information you have provided here; First that your painting is not very large, being only 6.35 inch x 6.83 inch. Second that I see from your screen shot you are zoomed into your work 500%. As AR is not capable of infinite zooming, there will always come a point, regardless of DPI, where things start to look "blocky" at high magnifications.

Printing your work at its given size of 6.35 x 6.83 inches @600dpi should afford you excellent results, with the quality of the printer being the determining factor here.
    If however you want a significantly bigger print size than you have at the moment, then you will need to re-size your work. You can do this in AR by going to Edit > Re-size Painting… then click on the 'Print Size' tab in the provided window before entering any numbers.
    Note, after resizing you may well find that you need to repaint some areas. The greater the change in the painting's size the more likely this may be.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

The size of the painting is not relevant to the pixellation you see when you are zoomed in. At 100% 1 pixel on the canvas is displayed as 1 pixel on the screen. At 500% 1 pixel on the canvas is displayed as 5 pixels on the screen. So it doesn't matter if your image is 100 x 100 pixels or 5000 x 5000 pixels, when you zoom in to 500%, you will see the same level of pixellation.

You can set your image up using the actual measurements you wish to print at when you begin via File -> New Painting then selecting 'Print size' and entering your measurements and DPI value. Most people tend to use 300 DPI.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Resolution loss in AR4

I've just bought AR4 as an upgrade to Studio Pro 3.5.5 and the resolution in 4 is noticeably poorer. I have set exactly the same canvases against each other, using the same brush, medium and colour and the quality of 4 is reduced. Even at 100%, I can see it. Zoom to 200% and I can see pixellation. Not what I expected. Will be reverting to Pro 3 until this is sorted.

We haven't made any specific changes to resolution in Artrage 4. I'm not able to see a difference here when I try the same thing myself but if you're having problems I should be able to help.

Please email me at support@artrage.com with an example screenshot from each application and let me know which canvas ( e.g. 'coarse canvas' ) and tool settings you're using so that I can get a better idea of what you're seeing there and I'll be happy to help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design