ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free For Use Stock Photos

Free For Use Stock Photos

After the discussion this week about copyright on web sourced images, I thought I would post this site which offers royalty free stock images that can be used in all sorts of ways. See: http://www.rgbstock.com/

They say, "All images on RGBStock are free for personal and commercial use. You may use them in digital format on websites, blogs, multimedia presentations, broadcast film and video or in printed material such as magazines, books, brochures, flyers and text books. If you wish to use an image to print on items offered on sites like Cafe Press and Zazzle, to print them on any form of canvas or template for sale or re-distribution or for any purpose that is not specified in our Image License or Terms of Use you only need to contact the artist for written permission."

I have been a member of this site for years and haven't posted any pics or used any, but have stayed in touch anyway.

I wrote to them today saying, "I have a query re: the use of your photos. Are they allowed to be used as reference pictures for artwork? I know a lot of artists who don't have a lot of their own photos, but are looking for reference for their paintings."

They said, "I presume you are asking about art done with conventional mediums such as paint, paper, canvas, pencil etc (Edit: digital as well).

Yes, you can use the images for that purpose."

Last edited by copespeak; 08-08-2013 at 11:07 AM.

In the words of Elvis: Thank you, thank you very muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Thank you :]

I'm collecting links with websites with free photos for references - I'll post it in a while once it's a bit more complete. Maybe a sticky thread would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    They said, "I presume you are asking about art done with conventional mediums such as paint, paper, canvas, pencil etc.

Yes, you can use the images for that purpose."

So does that mean no digital paintings ?

I didn't nominate digital paintings, and he obviously didn't think of it, but that would certainly be included. Any artwork at all.

Yeah, I'd imagine it would be included. I found one website that specifically says "THIS SITE....IS FOR 'NATURAL' MEDIA ARTWORK ONLY. NO DIGITAL ARTWORK PLEASE!" though. I'm not sure what's meant by digital art in this case though, really all digital art (i.e. including ArtRage and imitating natural media)? Might email them and ask.

PaintMyPhoto answer to my question is "no digital art, no exceptions", so when asking on other sites it might be best to be clear that you're not talking about "natural" media.

I'm off to bed now, but I will email tomorrow and ask.

I've used this site http://www.freeimages.co.uk/galleries.htm I did try to read their terms of use but glazed over. I think all they require is some sort of credit.

Thank you so much, I have run out of images to paint that's why I haven't posted anything a while. Nice to know I don't have to wait for permission to use a photo for reference.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/