ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: crisp ink lines?

crisp ink lines?

Hi,

I've been poking around in AR2, and can't figure out a way to do crisp inking lines. Pencil on hardest still gives some fuzz, and marker is always semi-opaque. Am I just missing a setting here?

Thanks!
    ~Sushu

Re: crisp ink lines?

I've been poking around in AR2, and can't figure out a way to do crisp inking lines. Pencil on hardest still gives some fuzz, and marker is always semi-opaque. Am I just missing a setting here?
    Have you tried the felt pen tool, shortcut '0' (zero) on a 5% or less setting?

Or did you mean something else?
    :?

For precise inking, it's best if you take the paper roughness to 0%. That way the paper texture wont interfere with your stoke.

If you want an expressive inking stroke, use the paintbrush tool. Take the loading to 100%, take the thinners to around 35%, and turn the pressure control up to around 80%. Ensure InstaDry is on so you wont smear any existing colour, and ensure AutoClean is on.
    User about a 5% size brush, but you'll still have some control over the width of the stroke based on the pressure of your stylus.

If you want a fixed-width ink stroke, use the crayon tool. Set softness to 100% (soft crayons apply more media than hard crayons) and turn the pressure dial up to 100%
    You can do the same with the Pencil tool - remember that 'softness' relates to the softness of the pencil lead. So a soft pencil will give a darker, more hard-edged line than a hard pencil.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks Andy, that's a keeper! :-)

Andy: Thank you so much! I'd totally forgotten about the paper roughness adjust! And it's kinda cool that the paper roughness changes doesn't affect previous brushstrokes.