ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lock paint problem

lock paint problem

If I use the lock paint option, I think it's meant to any painted area and leave me free to paint on the transparency. Yes?

But (isn't there always a but) if I lock paint on a layer then if I try to paint in an unpainted area I get the layer locked message.

What am I doing wrong or what have I misunderstood?

Brett

ARPro 4.0.4
    MacOSX 10.8.4
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Hi hypotaxis, in short it goes like this;
    Lock Paint = No paint can be applied to the selected layer.
    Lock Transparency = Paint can only be applied to areas already painted on the selected layer.

I think if you wanted to only paint on the transparent areas you would need to select all the painted areas first with say the Magic Wand tool, then choose 'Invert Selection' from the Edit menu. Now the little marching ants should stop any paint from going onto the previously painted areas of a layer.
    Last edited by markw; 08-04-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thanks Mark, that's certainly how it seems in practice, but the manual says:

"Lock Paint: Locks the layer so that new new areas of paint can be added and existing paint cannot be modified by paint strokes."

I cannot add "new areas of paint."

So is this a bug or am I still missing something?

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

I just select the unpainted area, and invert if I need to. Couldn't get the 'lock anything' to work.

Quote Originally Posted by hypotaxis View Post
    Thanks Mark, that's certainly how it seems in practice, but the manual says:

"Lock Paint: Locks the layer so that new new areas of paint can be added and existing paint cannot be modified by paint strokes."

I cannot add "new areas of paint."

So is this a bug or am I still missing something?

Brett
    Ah I see what might have happened here. Looks like a typo sneaked through in the manual !
    I think that first use of the word "new" should in fact be "no". Then that whole line would equate to my description for what 'Lock Paint' dose.
    So no I don't think its a bug, I think its doing exactly what its supposed to do.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

If that layer isn't set to use a blend mode, you could just paint on a layer beneath it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

That's correct, it is a typo ( sorry about that! ) which we have noted down to correct in an update.

Lock paint prevents you from painting on the locked layer. It's not intended to do the opposite and allow you to paint everywhere else. You could create a stencil from the layer contents to achieve that.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave, I tried the stencil idea and that works great for most, but if you want to ignore all opacity variations within the painted area like watercolour or scrubbed in areas, 'select', then 'inverse' just seems to work better so you can paint at will. See:

Attachment 76489

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    That's correct, it is a typo ( sorry about that! ) which we have noted down to correct in an update.

Lock paint prevents you from painting on the locked layer. It's not intended to do the opposite and allow you to paint everywhere else. You could create a stencil from the layer contents to achieve that.
    Hi Dave

So, IOW, there is no difference between "Lock Paint" and Lock All" then?

If that's so it might be better to remove the Lock Paint option - or change it so that it actually does what the manual says it does :-)

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Dave, I tried the stencil idea and that works great for most, but if you want to ignore all opacity variations within the painted area like watercolour or scrubbed in areas, 'select', then 'inverse' just seems to work better so you can paint at will. See:
    I have to try that. Thanks Robyn.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========