ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: is there a regular brush in artrage 4? and fill tool question.

is there a regular brush in artrage 4? and fill tool question.

Hi,

im trying to paint using either the dry or watercolor brush and use a regular fill setting but i cannot do that. using the water color brush and with pressure at 100% thinner at 0% but when i use it, i see artifacts left behind for some reason. it seems very random. Is there a preset or setting to make the brush paint like lets say a brush in mspaint or plain brush in photoshop without any transparencies?

my other question refers to the fill tool. Why is it when i try to fill something with the fill tool it just fills the entire layer? i see no setting to fill up gaps or anything. i put spread at 0 and it still fills the entire layer some help would be appreciated thank you.

Could you share an example of the type of stroke you're looking to make? Because there's a lot tool options that could what you've mentioned. Most directly related, is the Sticker Spray tool that has an option for importing Photoshop brushes.

As for the fill tool, were you using the basic fill (not the gradient or pattern fill)? If so, did you have the option to fill "Current Layer Only" on, or off?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

thank you for the reply. I am basically looking for a plain paint brush, no fancy effects or stroke, patterns on them. If not i can always use pencil or ink without anti-alias to get the same effect i guess.

I was using the basic fill and had the option current layer only on.

I would also note that for the fill tool to work correctly the area to be filled must be fully enclosed by some form of border line, like say an ink line. Any gap in the border will be seen by the software and it will then fill the whole layer.
    As Somonesane says there are a lot of tools and options. If you could show an example of what you are after it would make thing clearer for us.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 19.57.07.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  58.1 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

the fill tool problem doesnt seem to be happening to me now. What i did was just use water color tool with a solid color no transparencies and just made a circle, i then used the fill tool with the same color and it would just fill the entire layer. My circle was fully closed. When i get back home i will try to replicate it.

I don't typically use the basic fill tool (in any program), because it rarely does the job I want. When I do, I use the Ink Pen (with the Antialias Edge option turned off) to outline the area I want filled and then follow it up with the Fill Tool with the "Currently Layer Only" option turned on. Otherwise it leaves gaps or bleeds over.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

What if my outline is on a different layer? Do I have to use the select tool to block the fill or is the a setting I can use so it doesn't fill past my outline?

Have you tried the ink pen? If your talking about the default brush in MS Paint then I would say the ink pen is closest to it.. and of course you can configure the brush to act how you want. Also if you are still seeing artifacts left behind be sure its not the texture of your canvas that your seeing. Hope this helps. Cant help you on the fill tool. I've just got Artrage myself and havent even messed with the fill tool yet.

I get a nice flat gouache look doing the following:-

Right-click the layer in the layers palette, choose Bump Blend Modes --> Replace
    (this will help stop the paint building up as you work)

Oil Brush Settings:-
    Pressure = 30%
    Thinners = 50%
    Loading = 100% (for a brush that doesn't run out of paint)
    Stiffness = 0% (must be 0 to avoid streaking in the stroke)

Insta-Dry, Auto Clean, Aspect, Rotation set any way you prefer

Note: Wacom Tablet Properties dialog --> Tip Feel should be default setting (centered).
    Last edited by Juz; 12-31-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos10040 View Post
    Hi,

im trying to paint using either the dry or watercolor brush and use a regular fill setting but i cannot do that. using the water color brush and with pressure at 100% thinner at 0% but when i use it, i see artifacts left behind for some reason. it seems very random. Is there a preset or setting to make the brush paint like lets say a brush in mspaint or plain brush in photoshop without any transparencies?

my other question refers to the fill tool. Why is it when i try to fill something with the fill tool it just fills the entire layer? i see no setting to fill up gaps or anything. i put spread at 0 and it still fills the entire layer some help would be appreciated thank you.
    You can import Photoshop brushes. They won't behave *exactly* like PS brushes do in PS, but pretty close. As far as 'regular', have you tried the dry brush, with insta-dry turned on? That behaves more like the PS brushes, if that's what you're looking for. Artifacts being left behind may have to do with your videocard. Have you updated the drivers and whatnot?