ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Newbie to digital coloring looking for help

Question Newbie to digital coloring looking for help

Hi all I've been drawing since 16 and usually I do the drawing, inking, and coloring by hand. However I just got a new wacom graphics tablet this past thursday "aka" my birthday and I'm looking. To learn more about digitally coloring my artwork since it's faster. And The prisma color colored pencils I have do not fully cover. An area with the desired color and there's always little patches of white surrounded by whatever color I decided to use. Also I think digitally colored art looks better than hand colored. The artist has more options open to him/her allowing them. To achieve results much much more closer to what they desired. Than any colored pencil brand could ever hope to match! Anyway I'd appreciate any and all help as I feel it's time I went digital as far as coloring my artwork goes

Is there a specific aspect of digital coloring you're interested in? There's a fairly broad amount of information to give on the subject. Also, are you using the ArtRage program (if so, which version), as this site is geared for that particular program. As such, I'll give you some starting tips for using ArtRage for coloring:

If you're still using traditional media to ink the work, import the image into ArtRage and place it on the top of the layer stack. Set the blend mode for the layer to use "Multiply" and any coloring you do on the layer beneath it will show through the white paper.

If you're going to ink the image in ArtRage as well, stick with the Ink Pen for smooth/clean line work, and the Felt Pen for more of a quill appearance.

Keep individual sections of your image on separate layers, so you that you can use the Transparency Lock feature to mask your initial color forms. It makes it easier to add shadows and highlights.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I do a webcomic and have found a couple techniques that help me with my work. Look for some of my posts on this forum in the tips and tricks section-I plan to keep adding to this list. A few initial suggestions I would have for you:
    1. If you plan to go digital, can in pencil work (or create it on a pencil layer within Artrage) then do your inking on it's own layer. Place color layers underneath the ink layer which will allow you to brush your color seamless to the edge with no white pixels.
    2. Make sure to keep the DPI set at 300 for each page a this will give you the best resolution while keeping file size tolerable. This will also allow for good print recreation if you choose to take it to hard copy.
    3. The more layers you use for items within a panel, the more control you have over areas of an image. I wouldn't go overboard but I always place my background color on a separate layer from foreground objects. This way if I need to manipulate something I won't destroy the entire image.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Is there a specific aspect of digital coloring you're interested in? There's a fairly broad amount of information to give on the subject. Also, are you using the ArtRage program (if so, which version), as this site is geared for that particular program. As such, I'll give you some starting tips for using ArtRage for coloring:

If you're still using traditional media to ink the work, import the image into ArtRage and place it on the top of the layer stack. Set the blend mode for the layer to use "Multiply" and any coloring you do on the layer beneath it will show through the white paper.

If you're going to ink the image in ArtRage as well, stick with the Ink Pen for smooth/clean line work, and the Felt Pen for more of a quill appearance.

Keep individual sections of your image on separate layers, so you that you can use the Transparency Lock feature to mask your initial color forms. It makes it easier to add shadows and highlights.
    First thanks for the advice it'll prove helpful, Secondly there's no one specific aspect I need help with them all. I've always done everything by hand and it's difficult for me to switch from using traditional media to digital. The version of Artrage I'm using is 3.5.4 I'm a quick learner and just need a more experienced artist to start me out in the right direction. Thanks again Someonesane

Thanks dpalle I'm totally new to digital coloring and the advice you've given as well as that of Someonesane will be of great help to me