ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Menus become greyed out?!

Menus become greyed out?!

I've been happily experimenting, following tutorials and reading through the manual while trying out different tools.

Then all of a sudden I am unable to select anything from drop-down menus as everything is greyed out (including save, quit and all tools and functions).
    I am still able to paint, stylus and keyboard works, and no other program is having a problem at the time.

It has happened twice in two days (and I THINK both times it was after altering the "Adjust Layer Colors" on a texture overlay I'd created, but perhaps it is just happening on the heels of the processing effort of a larger task).

A familiar Bug? (somethng similar was posted in 2006, but surely it has been remedied since then). Help?

Hope his doesn't happen when I'm working on an actual project! ArtRage was looking pretty good as a part of my art practice, but this behaviour is a little concerning.

I'm on ArtRage4, bought July 2013. Running on my Mac OS X 10.8.4

That problem can indicate that a modal process has not properly completed. Could I check the version of ArtRage 4 that you are using? There was an issue in 4.0.2 I think that could cause this but 4.0.4 should have that cleared. If you're using anything earlier than 4.0.4 please update to the current version and try again.

If you see it happen, try pressing Escape, that can clear the top modal process and reactivate the menus. We'll take a look at the Adjust Colour system and see if we can make it happen here, otherwise if it does happen again could you see if you can remember any more details about what you did just before and just after colour adjustment and we can look in to it further.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt.

I am running 4.0.4. I also did try hitting escape - and based on the past forum posts I had found regarding this issue, I also tried bringing up and clearing some other modals in ArtRage. However, none of that helped.

Thanks for the information - If it's happening in 4.0.4 then it's a new problem and we're going to need some more details of exactly what is happening in order to try and replicate it. There will be a specific process that triggers it so if it happens again could you let us know in as much detail as possible what the process was: Did you use keyboard shortcuts to trigger colour adjustment, did you have selections active, did you do anything immediately after for example. That should let us replicate the problem and fix it. We'll try a few more things here as well but I haven't been able to get it to fail so far.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I replicated the bug!

I worked on it for awhile trying to do everything the same, and finally I replicated it!

Here it is: You can't press "adjust layer colours" if the layer that is selected is HIDDEN, or all the menus go grey.

I'll save you the details of what else was happening because I've replicated it 3 times and it seems to be consistent for me.

I can still paint and select layers and move the stylus, but can't use the menus.
    I have to force quit to stop it - fortunately it always gives an option to save at that point, and it works.

And obviously I won't make that mistake again now that I know what the trigger was. SO glad I can use the program confidently again.

Thanks for looking into the fix Matt!

Thanks for the exact info, we will look in to fixing that in our next update.

Update: Found the problem and fixed it in our internal build, it will be in the next update. In the meantime, you can work around this by clicking the X button on the menu bar if it happens - The app will close but you will be asked if you want to save the painting first.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.