ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Script playback uses wrong tool on new layer

Script playback uses wrong tool on new layer

I am using ArtRage 4.0.4 (steam version) and have recorded a script of a drawing so that I can play it back later as a sort of 'video'.

It's a basic sketch using the Chalk tool and it plays back fine until toward the end when I performed the following steps:
    1. Changed to eraser tool and erased part of the drawing
    2. Added a new layer
    3. Changed back to Chalk tool and continued drawing on the new layer

Except when I play back the script, it appears as though the first step (using the Eraser) is recorded fine, but then it continues to 'draw' the rest (in step 3) with the Eraser instead of switching back to the Chalk tool again - parts of the image disappear as if they are being erased.

The parts that look like they are being erased in the playback are actually meant to be parts that are filled in with the Chalk tool on the new layer.

Does anyone know how to fix this error in the script?

I have uploaded the script file to dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhvirt2wl0...eardy.arscript
    (it's approximately 30Mb)

The file has had the 'orientation' lines commented out already so that the script will play as a full screen static image without any zooming or other orientation changes. I have run the original script file (before orientation edits) and it has the same problem, so it's not those edits that have changed it.

Is it perhaps an issue for when a new layer is created?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

__________________________________________________ ____
    Edit:

So after some playing around and editing the script I managed to (almost) fix the problem by deleting the following line of code (on line 134770):

Code:
    Wait: 5.139s	EvType: Command	CommandID: ToolPreset	ToolID: 4906 (Eraser)	Tool Data: {
    				┪┓──┘───━───┱┳△┾━───□╄┳────┿━───┄──────┿─╅─◿╌───────┆───────┴╞◐▲──▀┿────╤╞◐▲────────┷╞◐▲────━───┴╞◐▲────━───╤╞◐▲──▀┿━───┷╞◐▲────
        }    // End of tool preset binary data.
    I also deleted an "add new layer" line just before it - the result was that it still erased the parts that were meant to be erased, but then continued on with the Chalk tool as intended. Not sure why this helped exactly, but the scripting guide was pretty useful to specify what commands to look out for.

There's still an error toward the end of the script, but I think I can sort it out after some more playing around.

I'll link the edited file here as well once it's uploaded to dropbox - in case anyone can look at it to see why it might have happened.
    (here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cjqh2fna4...WORKS.arscript )

Still not sure why this error would have happened, so maybe it's worth looking into?
    Last edited by abatage; 07-31-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Hi abatage,
    Can you tell me how you added the layer - was it with a shortcut key, or a main menu option, or the Add New Layer button in the layer stack? Similarly do you recall how you selected the eraser and chalk tool? Were you using a stylus or mouse?
    I'm checking to make sure I'm doing the same steps as you to recreate the problem.
    Thanks.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi AndyRage,

To create a new layer I clicked on the + symbol on the layer stack, and to select the eraser I flipped my stylus - i.e. selected chalk tool at beginning manually, turned stylus around to use eraser, then turned back around to go back to 'pen' mode. I'm using a Wacom Intuos Touch 5, if that helps!

Thanks for the response - I hadn't considered that it might be a stylus related issue - will be interesting to see if you are able to recreate it!