ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Use layers for comics - more efficient

Use layers for comics - more efficient

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	76400
    To help save time and be more efficient, I use layers for each of the stages of my webcomic panels.My pencil layer comes first which can involve one or more pencil layers to sketch in the basics of a scene. I will put different characters on separate pencil layers to allow free movement and scale as needed. Next comes the inking layer which cleans up the pencils and allows me to freely add ink without destroying the original pencil. This is true for the following layers; by placing the foreground color layer directly below the ink layer I don't waste time trying to be precise on the edges-the upper level of black will hide the color edges. With each layer I add I give myself the freedom to manipulate one aspect of a panel without affecting the entire image. That way if I just need to tweak a shadow or change a skin patch, I don't disrupt the ink layer, pencil layer, etc. which can be a real time saver.

I love cartoons.

People dismiss cartoons and cartoonists. But how many people can do cartoons? Not too many. Thanks for your tips.
    Mike

This applies to a lot of artistic efforts, like compositing photo-manipulations.