ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vaio Duo 13 - problem with pencil pressure

Sony Vaio Duo 13 - problem with pencil pressure

Hi there.

Recently just got the Sony Vaio Duo 13. I spent a great deal of time deciding on this purchase as I was worried about it not having a Wacom digitizer ( it uses ntrig), but as it supports the Microsoft api and not win tab, I figured my two favourite program's would be fine (sketchbook and artrage).

Sketchbook works fine, although artrage has some issues. When I try and use the pencil tool, the pressure is so light it's unusable. Other tools seem to be okay, but drawing with the pencil is like using a feather touch, no matter how hard you press.

Searching on the Internet, there seems to be a few people having the same issue.

Thing is, I got out my samsung series 7 slate that has windows 8 on it and if I turn win tab off, and just use the real time stylus, I get the same effect. Just wondering if its not so much a driver issue, but maybe a windows 8/artrage issue.

Any advice?
    James Hall
    Hallstudios

We have been talking to the vendor about this, it appears to be a driver/firmware issue as pre-release units were working fine and the device should be supporting the Windows Realtime Stylus system we use. We're waiting for hardware to be sent to us to take a look at and when we've replicated the issue locally we should be able to help them resolve the problem.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the response. So I guess I shall just hang fire. I am pleased its going to get looked at though.

Cheers.
    James Hall
    Hallstudios

Is there any update on this fix? The problem seems to be with crayons and brushes as well. I recently purchased my Duo 13 and this is a make-it-or-break-it issue for me. I would hate to miss the return period.

Thanks.

We're talking to the driver manufacturer at the moment as we have test hardware now. The problem isn't inside ArtRage unfortunately, the device (possibly driver, possibly firmware) is returning the incorrect value when we request the Pressure Range it supports (technically, when we make the standard request to ask for Pressure Range the device is saying 'I don't know what 'Pressure Range' means...'). This should never happen, but when it does ArtRage defaults to the standard pressure range Microsoft suggests for these situations, which unfortunately is larger than the range supported by the device. The upshot is that your strokes can only go to about 1/4 of the range that was established, hence small and light strokes.

We'll post an update when we hear back on this, but from running test code on the device it's clearly a problem outside of ArtRage and there's not much we can do internally to fix a problem where the tablet isn't telling us what range it supports so I can't estimate when a fix might be available at this point. There's definitely eagerness on all sides to get it resolved though!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

So ultimately then, because the default is deemed 1024 levels of pressure, and the ntrig is 256, there lies the problem.

Thanks for your efforts in finding out the issue, hopefully someone will be able to sort the driver/firmware issue out. I wonder if there would be a way of altering the Microsoft default and set it to 256. That might do it wonder where that value is stored?
    James Hall
    Hallstudios

The 1024 default is just the value MS suggests applications use if they can't get pressure range from the device. It's not a strict level required to be supported by devices, it's just used as a 'usual value' to try if the device is failing to provide information. The 256 range the device supports is fine, the only problem is that the software has no way of knowing that that is the supported range because the standard method for getting that value doesn't work on it for some reason.

We're continuing to talk to everyone involved and providing them helpful information that we hope will result in a fix.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for Matt for helping us understand the problem. I would like to contact Sony about this, as the way I see it the burden falls on them due to how they advertised the product. I don't feel like calling generic customer support would get me to someone knowledgeable on the issue, however. Any chance you know or can share a better person/department I could contact as a customer?

That would be handy. Here in the uk, I emailed the normal sony customer support team and was told it was purely art rages fault. They didn't even seem to want to take the time to understand the issue.
    James Hall
    Hallstudios

Any update on this issue or able to point us towards a better person to contact from Sony or N-trig?

Thanks.