ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help Me Enjoy ArtRage

Unhappy Help Me Enjoy ArtRage

I got ArtRage Studio along with my Wacom Bamboo tablet a little less than a year ago. I've never really done much traditional art--apart from sketching--and I don't really find ArtRage as usable or enjoyable as other programs, such as Paint Tool SAI. It has a lot of functions for making traditional-looking art, but I only want to be a digital artist. Thus, it's a bit hard for me to create the effects I want. I also don't quite understand exactly how tools function, as I am not very experienced in traditional painting, and how those effects would be useful (such as the palette knife effects). ArtRage is one of the only programs I actually own, however.
    My main question is, how can I, who am mostly a digital artist, enjoy ArtRage? Should I upgrade to ArtRage 4? Or should I buy another program?

EDIT:
    Sorry. I'll clarify. When I say I want to be mainly a "digital" artist, I mean that I'm not interested in making my artwork have a traditional look--I don't mind if it looks completely digital or "plastic." I would like to focus on realistic or semi-realistic portraiture, and possibly cartooning.
    The main problem I am having with ArtRage is that it takes much more effort to achieve the effects I want than with a program such as Paint Tool SAI. It isn't that I feel the quality of my work is lower, just that it takes more time to achieve similar results. Although this isn't a huge deal, it's rather annoying for me, and, worst of all, it isn't enjoyable. One of my main motivations as a hobbyist is the fun and satisfaction in creating artwork. (That's why I ask people to help me "enjoy" ArtRage.) Maybe I'm not experienced enough in ArtRage yet, but it seems like I have to use a lot of tools just to blend some colors for shadows (brush, airbrush or palette knife), while in SAI, I only have to use one tool--the brush tool. Creating the effects I want is more complicated and less intuitive. I am thinking of switching to another program, but I want to give ArtRage another chance, seeing the amazing artwork some people have done with the program.

I guess what I'm asking is, what are the general advantages of ArtRage over other programs, and how should I exploit them (so that ArtRage becomes enjoyable for me instead of frustrating)? What makes the program better/fun for YOU?

Sample artwork of mine (oh gosh, it's so bad). The first two were done in Paint Tool SAI, the last in ArtRage. Essentially the same, but the first one two were far faster. (If these don't look realistic, it's only because I stink at art. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mermaid_eye_by_sphi_ii-d6494ob.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	76371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robert_by_sphi_ii-d67ub2e.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	386.8 KB 
ID:	76375  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ZIMF; 07-27-2013 at 03:18 AM.

[QUOTE=ZIMF;452229but I only want to be a digital artist. Thus, it's a bit hard for me to create the effects I want. [/QUOTE]
    Hi
    What type of art and effects are you trying to achieve ?

As I have only been a digital player I suggest that you try out all the tools, use the help and then play, play, play. ArtRage is the easiest and the best painting program around

Quote Originally Posted by ZIMF View Post
    I got ArtRage Studio along with my Wacom Bamboo tablet a little less than a year ago. I've never really done much traditional art--apart from sketching--and I don't really find ArtRage as usable or enjoyable as other programs, such as Paint Tool SAI. It has a lot of functions for making traditional-looking art, but I only want to be a digital artist. Thus, it's a bit hard for me to create the effects I want. I also don't quite understand exactly how tools function, as I am not very experienced in traditional painting, and how those effects would be useful (such as the palette knife effects). ArtRage is one of the only programs I actually own, however.
    My main question is, how can I, who am mostly a digital artist, enjoy ArtRage? Should I upgrade to ArtRage 4? Or should I buy another program?
    Not a question anyone can really answer as you've asked it, since I have no idea what you mean by 'digital artist'. That's a pretty broad category. And it's a rather odd question to put the owe-ness on others. Sort of a 'make me happy' kind of sentiment.

If you're really asking a question you want answered, share a sample showing your efforts and the results you got. Or even an example from the internet that shows the type of thing you want your work to look like.

Sounds to me like you may want to clarify what you want for yourself first. If someone is motivated, they will spend the time at it. Everything has a learning curve. And it also sounds like you may be wanting to side-step developing your artistic eye and jump right into finished glorious paintings in a pre-fab way. Nothing wrong with that. There are levels and there are levels.

What I am able to gather from your comments is that you want the computer to do your work for you? Am I hearing that correctly? What I mean by that is you want to set parameters like in a 3-D rendering program and have it render it for you? If that is so, and that is valid, you may find that those programs are a heck of a lot steeper learning curve than you might think.

The rule about programs is that there are those with greater flexibility and those with narrow limits. Learning simple programs with a couple basic features is honestly easier. And using one may be the way to go for you until you outgrow those narrow confines when you find for example that you want to do something to make the picture better and it doesn't happen. That way it's more natural to your own development. And you'll know what you want to learn next and where the fit was too tight.

Using ArtRage there may be a couple things to consider doing -- make some pictures using only one or two of the features. And from that when you want to do more, you'll learn how to do that and add it to your bag of tricks. Don't try to learn everything about the program at the beginning. Stay focused on the task at hand.

Also, there are lots of tutorials here and YouTube that walk you through the picture making process. Not all YouTube tutorials are useful to a beginner who is trying to learn the program from the beginning. So watch a couple short ones and see.

There are lots of tutorials here on this site. Their focus is narrow plus you can ask technical questions of the people who know how.

And if you can manage to get past being daunted, like Just Jean said, have fun with it. All the rest will fall into place. ArtRage does not insist you paint like an Impressionist or Rembrandt. This is just a tool. How you use it is in your hands.

Good luck.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

It's in my noddle, the rest is just scribble di scrabble - Mozart

Well, what I mean by that is, picture what you want, and seek the tools by scribble and scrabble with what there is, and slowly get to your desired wish - and when it comes to painting, you really have to see what you give to the picture, to see what happens with the tools you got.

What rules do you want to play by?

By that I mean, is everything OK, or should it stay close to traditional - I from the start limited my tools to oil, brush and knife, but that's just me - so who are you, and what is your thing?

Just do, really. I find it rewarding.

Hmm...

I'm guessing it's either Manga or Concept art you're interested in doing, since they're the most often topics brought up when I hear talk of 'digital art'. Considering you brought up Paint Tool Sai specifically, I'd have to say Manga is the most likely style you're trying to achieve of the two. If this happens to be the case, you'll want to start off by opening the Canvas Settings panel and setting your Grains Roughness slider to 0% (this makes your canvas as smooth as glass). You'll also probably want to turn off the Canvas Lighting option on that panel (so the program doesn't render its virtual light source). With these two options on, the strokes from the tools will appear flat, like you're accustomed to seeing in Sai. For sketching, I'd recommend using either the Pencil tool set to use its Precise mode, for clean line. When inking, the Ink Pen tool will probably be the most useful. As for coloring, it depends on the look you want, but I'd probably recommend the Crayon tool, which will allow you to smear the colors into one another in a similar manner to a few of Sai's tools.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the tips and advice, everyone, especially someonesane's. I apologize for my incoherent rambling, and thank you guys for taking your time to try to decode it all. I've edited the post.

Changing one's mind means changing ones habits, which I'm afraid is far easier said then done. You really have to want to adapt and the best way to have fun while doing it, is to not have any expectations from the tool you're trying to adapt to. You need to experience it for it what it has to offer, otherwise you'll be fighting it the entire time. In other words, one should not pick up a piece of chalk and plan to paint with it, because that's not the nature of chalk.

You mentioned "realistic or semi-realistic portraiture, and possibly cartooning" as the end results you wanted to achieve. ArtRage can certainly be used for both realistic and cartoon work. How fast you are able to do this, will depend solely on how familiar you are with the program you're using (be it ArtRage or other). For example, I used ArtRage Studio Pro to create this image of a glass bird. It took me about an hour and ten minutes to do. I pretty much stuck to a single layer and mainly used the Oil Brush tool for the entire thing. So being fast at it comes with experience and whether or not I use a single tool or not, depends solely on what I'm trying to achieve. In the case of my glass bird image, I didn't need much more then the Oil Brush, though I most certainly could've decided to use the Crayon Tool, Air Brush or Sticker Spray tool to get similar effects or make things easier on me. Such was case when I made this image. I could've stuck to the oil brush for the whole thing, but I preferred to use a variety of tools for different effects, such as using the Crayon tool to smooth and blend my Oil Brush strokes, or using the Felt Pen to create strands of hair, and using the Sticker Spray tool to add the freckles.

If you're interested in the process I used for the glass Blue Bird, I have a time lapse version of this video on YouTube HERE, but for those of you with ArtRage 3 or better, you may wish to watch it play in the program itself (in real time, or sped up), using ArtRage's Script Playback. You may download my script file by right clicking on this LINK and selecting "Save File As". Once saved, you may play it back by opening ArtRage and selecting "Play Script" from the file menu. I also have a time lapse video for the Nameless woman here: Link
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the advice and the videos! I think I will keep on trying ArtRage now. You've given me new hope for the future!