ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Oi vey ... earthquakes!

Oi vey ... earthquakes!

Twenty five of them this morning! The largest (5.9) was big enough to swing pictures on their hooks and gently rattle stuff on shelves. All happening a few kilometres offshore from where we live. We had a similar swarm yesterday too.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/all

They can stop now as far as I am concerned :-) The crack in the kitchen wall is big enough already!

Brett in The Shaky Isles.
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

I guess you folks kind of get use to them in your part of the world.
    I must admit it would scare the heck out of me.
    Geoff

I have got acclimatised to them, but I don't think I'll ever get used to them. There is something profoundly unnerving about feeling the earth itself become unstable under you feet :-)

But you're right, earthquakes are a part of who we are. We live in the Shaky isles, better get used to it!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Twenty five is VERY shaky Brett! Stay safe.

And a big one at 6.9. Very scary and it takes a big one to scare me these days. Stuff off tables and shelves. Some small broken things. Power and phone out in some places. Supermarkets closed for a while with stuff off shelves. You know regular earthquake stuff. Should I be saying my prayers to Gaia?!

Now getting on shake every two minutes according to Geonet.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Sorry to hear of yet another quake, I have a friend near Christchurch and they seem to get a lot of them, hope you all stay safe

Hope you're all alright! Fingers crossed that this will settle down soon.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks guys! Yup, we're fine. We live in a good neighbourhood which is great. Mainly working people, you know .. we tend to be pretty down to earth. Not a huge amount of sleep. A little pinot gris helps :-) We're still getting very regular quakes.

But we're good: a bit weary, a bit stressed and a bit drunk :-)

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Quote Originally Posted by hypotaxis View Post
    Thanks guys! Yup, we're fine. We live in a good neighbourhood which is great. Mainly working people, you know .. we tend to be pretty down to earth. Not a huge amount of sleep. A little pinot gris helps :-) We're still getting very regular quakes.

But we're good: a bit weary, a bit stressed and a bit drunk :-)

Brett
    How can you tell you're a bit drunk? When one is super saturated it's often accompanied by the experience of the rolling of the earth under one's feet. . . or my rolling on top of it. . . er, or so I've read anyway. . .

I looked at that link and didn't see a 6.9. Is that confirmed? I dare say you are getting some activity that must be rather disconcerting with so many of them.

Coming from Los Angeles county I am no stranger to big earthquakes, but only with a few noticeable aftershocks. And those were big attention getters, sheesh.

Well, for what it's worth, I understand that these little quakes act to release some pressure which is in lieu of a single whopper. But who knows. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys, if not my Bordeaux.

Keep us posted please and be safe.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    ... I looked at that link and didn't see a 6.9. Is that confirmed? ...
    Keep us posted please and be safe.
    It was downgraded to a 6.5. The first estimates (6.9) are all computer generated and then the seismologists have the final say.

If you go here:

http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/canterbury/felt

You'll see the two quakes around 5.15pm on Sunday.

Yup, we're doing good really. Oh and you can tell when you're a "bit drunk" because that's when there's still wine in the bottle :-)

Brett

PS If you would like you can see pictures of Wellington (not where I live) here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/phot...-by-earthquake
    Visit my gallery here.

=========