Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BW Line Art

Here is some colour...

I am studying Line Art using ArtRage, Painter, real Pens, Brushes, Pencils and Paper. Lines are great. But it can lack some information. So I am trying to understand the relations between, Lines, Patterns, Textures and Colours. Here is some more patterns and some colours added to the Smiling Bikini Girls drawing...I find the information the colours brings very interesting...

Name:  badbrudar färg.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  39.3 KB

More of the same, lines, textures and colours

Name:  collage.png
Views: 1047
Size:  140.9 KB

Here is another one. First: pure Line Art. Second: textures added. Third: Flat colours (just 5 colours in the palette). Four: Added some shades using two Multiply layers (still using the same 5 colours from the palette).

Many thanks!

kenmo, Ceasar, byroncallas, Belvrog, Copespeak, damasocl (i hope I did not forget someone...), thank you very much for encouraging me. I like that. Love!

Name:  heartandpencil.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  37.2 KB

The girls coloured are very effective, and I just love your little man with all the textures.... and the pencil! You are so good at it.

You might be interested in this link to Australian Poster Artist Ken Taylor, a master of simple dramatic colour and expressive line work. Driving home yesterday, I heard him interviewed, so got on Google and was blown away by his work.

I'm having a go at an eagle as I love line work. Getting the expressive strokes is the challenge.

See: http://kentaylor.com.au/illustration/

Such beautiful new paintings Henry. Love that hat.

3D, perspective, lighting

In order to have a constant look of an object or of a person, I often make small models. Like this house made of cardboard. I use my camera on a tripod and take some shotf from different angles.

Name:  collage.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  151.8 KB

This is the one I use for tracing in ArtRage

Name:  1-1-P1020762.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  96.6 KB

Tracing is easy and I always get the view I want with all details in the right place...correct perspective and also lighting if I need that...

Name:  1-artrace.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  88.8 KB

Here is the BW sketch after tracing:

Name:  husetartrace.png
Views: 1057
Size:  92.6 KB

Of course, Google SketcUp, Blender or some other 3D program can do the same job as IRL modeling. But I find this method more amusing and artistic. So I prefere modeling. Clay or cardboard and such...
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 08-27-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Selfportrait

Name:  harry.png
Views: 966
Size:  78.7 KB

Trying out one tone + BW. I find it interesting to test this black and white line art + one more colour... it adds some 3D dimension to the flat line art.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 08-31-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Inking Tools

Name:  1-inking tools.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  24.8 KB

These are the Tools I experiment with in my Line Art exploration. The Tools are sorted the way that they interacts with the canvas grain. Far left the Gloop Tool that is most responsive to the canvas grain. The Ink Pen does not interact with the canvas grain at all. I like the Watercolor and Felt Pen most.

Watercolor Ink

Name:  1-tipp2.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  75.5 KB

This was drawn using the Watercolour brush on the Cockled Paper. I like the look of the lines.

Name:  tipp settings.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  38.3 KB

Some Water Colour

Name:  1-tippcol.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  67.9 KB

Some Water Colour to my Little friend "Tipp"...