Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I need a finger for my pencil work

Would Love to Check Out This Blender

I'd love to check out this blender but the link no longer goes to it. Is there any way to get the blender? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Good blender. I got this from a member a while ago and use it all the time.

Attachment 76252

Thank You Someone Sane for the Blenders!

Thank you someone sane. You've helped me to feel more sane by providing these blenders, which are far better than anything that comes standard in AR. I especially like Blender #2. These blenders work not only on pencil, but on the pastel and paints too. I haven't yet tried them on the pens or anything else yet, but I'll bet they work on those too. It's so awesome of you to share your fantastic creations with everyone. I love your grass stickers too! I wish I knew how to make blenders. I don't, so you remain genius-like in my mind. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I created some presets that may help. I've put them all into a .arpack which may be downloaded from HERE. Just save it to your computer and then double click on the file. Your computer should recognize the file as belonging to ArtRage and then open the program for you, where it will then walk you through the rest of the installation process for whichever items in the pack you'd like to save.

In the screen shot below, you'll see the list of items that it has to offer, and a quick picture I drew using only the presets within the package. The first group shown in the list holds Sticker Spray presets that I designed to emulate a pencil. To use them, select the Sticker Spray tool, open the Presets panel and open the group named "Pencil Pack". The second group shown in the list, only holds a single sticker sheet. Odds are good, you'll never need to find that file, because its sole purpose is for use with the Sticker Spray Presets in the group I just mentioned. Should you need to find it however, open the Sticker Sheet panel and locate the group named "Pencil Pack". The third group shown has three presets for the Palette Knife tool that are probably the most relevant to your question. They're designed to spread and blur out the pencil marks, similar to a tortillon stub tool (or your finger).

Attachment 76253

Thumbs up Thnx!

I created some presets that may help. I've put them all into a .arpack which may be downloaded from HERE. Just save it to your computer and then double click on the file. Your computer should recognize the file as belonging to ArtRage and then open the program for you, where it will then walk you through the rest of the installation process for whichever items in the pack you'd like to save.

In the screen shot below, you'll see the list of items that it has to offer, and a quick picture I drew using only the presets within the package. The first group shown in the list holds Sticker Spray presets that I designed to emulate a pencil. To use them, select the Sticker Spray tool, open the Presets panel and open the group named "Pencil Pack". The second group shown in the list, only holds a single sticker sheet. Odds are good, you'll never need to find that file, because its sole purpose is for use with the Sticker Spray Presets in the group I just mentioned. Should you need to find it however, open the Sticker Sheet panel and locate the group named "Pencil Pack". The third group shown has three presets for the Palette Knife tool that are probably the most relevant to your question. They're designed to spread and blur out the pencil marks, similar to a tortillon stub tool (or your finger).

Attachment 76253
    Thnx! This is exactly what I was looking for. Super!

I can't find the three blenders in the package?

Hi there,

I can't find the three blenders in the package? I did download the pencils successfully! Thanks for any help!!! And thanks for the pencil package!!!

Janice

Quote Originally Posted by janicejem View Post
    Hi there,

I can't find the three blenders in the package? I did download the pencils successfully! Thanks for any help!!! And thanks for the pencil package!!!

Janice
    Hello Janice,

You should be able to locate the three blenders under the "Pencil Pack" group on the Preset Panel once you've selected the Palette Knife Tool. It's important to select the Palette Knife first, otherwise you'll be looking at presets for another tool.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you~!

Hello Janice,

You should be able to locate the three blenders under the "Pencil Pack" group on the Preset Panel once you've selected the Palette Knife Tool. It's important to select the Palette Knife first, otherwise you'll be looking at presets for another tool.
    Thank you Someonesane. I did manage to find them and they work great!!! Thanks again!!!

I need a finger for my pencil work

Quote Originally Posted by Den_er_da_hvid View Post
    Hi everyone

I am sketching out a steampunk theme picture with a robot (see below). I was just putting in where I wanted some of the shadows and it felt kind of nice working with the pencil, so perhaps I will do the hole picture with pencil when I am ready to finish it off... The thing is, I tried to use the palette tool as a stub/finger to rubb the pencil lines and getting a nice blended look, but not much happened...

Does anyone know how I can get a finger in Artrage?

Attachment 76248

I too need a finger.... or an actual blending stump that does more than just pushing color/tone around. So far the only thing that Artrage seems able to do is just that. Or simply "blur" the lines in such a way that it doesn't act like a finger or blending stump. Myself, I have no desire to paint, ink, etc.... I simply want pencil sketching... BUT... I NEED to be able to correctly smudge and blend graphite, charcoal, etc on the "paper". After MUCH frustration with Artrage, and seeing this subject is at least YEARS old, and they still have done nothing but push people to the palette knife (THOSE ARE FOR PAINTS!!!!!! and the one in AR acts exactly as it SHOULD for PAINT).... sorry I digress.... After much frustration, I will continue to sketch in Sketchbook Pro. The ONLY thing lacking in Sketchbook that I wish Autodesk would add is textured paper backgrounds like Artrage. THAT was the only thing I even tried AR for to begin with. But the lack of sketch tools, renders the textured background useless to me. The truth of the matter is... Artrage is clearly not intended as a pencil sketching tool.... it's a paint/ink tool... sketching available clearly as merely an underlying layout for a paint/ink job.

All that being said.....and again, AFTER MUCH FRUSTRATION WITH ARTRAGE BLENDING/SMUDGING (smearing in AR), I have at least come to a relatively decent substitute.

I do the following:

1. Launch Artrage
    2. Go to Layers -> Layer Options -> Canvas Settings
    3. Select Grains -> <paper/texture of my choice> and color.
    4. Select "OK"
    5. Export the drawing EXACTLY as is, with no drawing done in it, to a PNG.
    6. Exit Artrage

7. Open Sketchbook
    8. Create new drawing at 1280x800 (Size of the canvas in Artrage) at 240dpi
    9. Select Import Image
    10. Navigate to and select my Artrage exported PNG
    11. Set layer blending mode to Multiply
    12. Place all my new "working" layers "UNDER" that layer.

This does a fair job of emulating actually having a paper background.

If Artrage will add sketching tools...that work the way they SHOULD (the way a finger or blending stump do)... then I'd love to love Artrage, without those... I just can't.

If Autodesk ever adds textured canvas to Sketchbook then they'll be perfect for the sketch artist.

Halfway between the two...

Attached is an example of the end result of my process above. ... (drawn in Sketchbook):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-12-08 15.32.32.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	91593
    Last edited by Certx1164; 12-09-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Certx1164 View Post
    ... they still have done nothing but push people to the palette knife (THOSE ARE FOR PAINTS!!!!!! and the one in AR acts exactly as it SHOULD for PAINT)
    Technically, the Palette Knife is a combination of a palette knife tool and a digital blender tool - the smudge and 'wet' options aren't really the same thing as the flat and edge knives, even if they push paint around, and they can do exactly the same thing as a digital blending tool in another program - turn 'Pressure' down to mix colour without changing texture.

Have you tried screenpainter's Sumi-E pack? It's got some very nice subtle blenders if SomeoneSane's aren't quite right for you.
    https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...-why-don-t-you

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Technically, the Palette Knife is a combination of a palette knife tool and a digital blender tool - the smudge and 'wet' options aren't really the same thing as the flat and edge knives, even if they push paint around, and they can do exactly the same thing as a digital blending tool in another program - turn 'Pressure' down to mix colour without changing texture.

Have you tried screenpainter's Sumi-E pack? It's got some very nice subtle blenders if SomeoneSane's aren't quite right for you.
    https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...-why-don-t-you
    I'd love to try these packs... I'm using a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Android tablet. Any way to add these packs to Artrage on Android? I can't find one.

I'd also beg to differ on the "same thing as ...another program"... I have gone through just about the entire gambit of settings in the knife tool in AR... At no settings can I even remotely achieve the realistic graphite/charcoal smudging that I do in Sketchpad.
    Last edited by Certx1164; 12-09-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Certx1164 View Post
    I'd love to try these packs... I'm using a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Android tablet. Any way to add these packs to Artrage on Android? I can't find one.

I'd also beg to differ on the "same thing as ...another program"... I have gone through just about the entire gambit of settings in the knife tool in AR... At no settings can I even remotely achieve the realistic graphite/charcoal smudging that I do in Sketchpad.
    Okay, there may be one specific tool somewhere that we can't replicate But *in general*, our blenders offer all the same options as the digital blending tool in most programs.

But the difficulty you have blending might also be more to do with the pencil itself, which uh, is about to improve dramatically. Though, sorry, not sure when it's coming to the Android app, we haven't had a chance to see if it even works there yet

To use these packs on Android:

You can't install them directly, but the tools are almost all exactly the same, especially the palette knife. If you install the pack to a desktop version of ArtRage (e.g. the demo) and copy the settings manually, you can create your own presets. Most of them use the Wet mode, which has a lot of fiddly options, so it definitely helps to have a guide.