ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Afterimage lag in ArtRage 4

Afterimage lag in ArtRage 4

Hello. I'm experiencing an odd sort of lag or visual artifact problem.

I bought ArtRage 4 on Steam a few months ago. It has worked perfectly up until today.

My computer is Windows 7, 32-bit, with 4 gigabytes of RAM. 1 gig is reserved for the hardware, 1 gig is used by services and drivers, and 2 gigs are free pretty much at all times (unless I have a game running, but I never do that when I'm using ArtRage). I am using a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet that I have had for about a week and has worked wonderfully up until today.

The issue in full detail:
    Since I plugged my tablet in this morning, when I draw a line in ArtRage using any tool, it will occasionally show a break in the line even though I didn't lift my tablet pen. Afterimages of my cursor will litter the line. If I move my cursor near the afterimages, they disappear. If I click 'undo' to clear the line out, it doesn't disappear. When I move my cursor through the line after this, it disappears in a small radius around the cursor. If I'm applying colors, the screen updates in small squares (maybe 20 pixels by 20 pixels?) instead of moving smoothly like it used to. I can move the menus around without issues, though.

These effects are persistent through all canvas sizes and settings.

The effects do not coincide chronologically with any error, hardware addition, hardware change, or hardware malfunction that my computer has had. They started today when I plugged my tablet in this morning, and reinstalling the tablet drivers has not done anything to help it.

This issue only affects ArtRage 4. I do not have this problem in any of my games or any of my other art programs.

I did notice that Windows said it was installing drivers for my tablet when I plugged it in this morning (and every time I changed USB ports) even though the driver for my tablet is already installed. Could that be the issue? If so, where do I go to disable that?

Thanks for the details, this sounds like a screen update problem to me. Could I get you to email me at support@artrage.com with the following information and I can do some more in depth troubleshooting with you directly:

-If you restart your computer and close down any background applications, then launch ArtRage by itself and start painting, do you get the same behaviour?
    -It sounds like your hardware hasn't changed, let me know if you can think of any software updates or new applications which may have been installed recently, especially any related to display features or the desktop.

At this point I don't think it's likely to be your tablet driver, but when you email me I can go through a few things with you in order to locate the cause.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I had something like that when I was doing the beta testing. Not quite the same, but see ....

<removed>

and

<removed>

EDIT by Dave - Removed beta forum links, see my next post below for clarification.
    Last edited by copespeak; 07-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Copespeak, I am unable to view those two pages. I was also unable to respond with quote- guess newbies here have a lot of restrictions.

Thanks for the email. I've sent you a response with some troubleshooting steps and will continue to work on it with you via email.

Copespeak: Those look like different situations, thanks for the ideas though! Non beta users won't be able to access the beta forum, so I've removed the links to avoid confusion.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Update: The computer ArtRage was on had a hardware failure during troubleshooting and was replaced. ArtRage is working correctly on the new computer, while it's quite possible that the hardware issue wasn't the cause of the original problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design