ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dwarf Ranger

Dwarf Ranger

I was recommended to post this in the gallery to get some more input.

Here is a picture I worked on from an instructional art book in ArtRage. I think it turned out pretty well but I want some opinions on what could be improved.

I am still very new to colour theory and what works well so any tips on that would be fantastic.

Some of my colour seems to be more dull in the JPG than it looked in my PTG file, is there a way to prevent that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwarf Coloured.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	76115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwarf Painted.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	76116

I also have my step by step process at dailydoodlechallenge.wordpress.com if you are interested in the process.

Thanks,

Roamin'

Hi Roamin, I think your colours work well, as it's a masculine sort of subject. They come up pretty rich on my screen.

My only constructive comment (because it's a great image!) is that your 'smoothing' could be turned up a little just to iron those outlines a little smoother.

Good work nevertheless!

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    My only constructive comment (because it's a great image!) is that your 'smoothing' could be turned up a little just to iron those outlines a little smoother.
    I try to use smoothing but I when I have it turned too high I find it hard to get the right shapes or make circles, does that just take a little time and practice? Would smoothing my lines more reduce the amount of little jagged edges on my lines? I have been trying to solve that for a while now.

Thanks a lot for the input it helps with getting back into the swing of things!

There are some terrific cartoonists hovering on this forum, hopefully they might give you some useful hints.

Practice, practice, getting a confident sweep of your hand/wrist, even zooming out so you don't have so far to go without a wiggle. Maybe aim your line to be a bit larger so the smoothing will pull it in?

I had a play with trying to aim for a circle, so selected one, filled it in, then tried to get around the outside. 94% smoothing.

Attachment 76120

Pretty rough as I have only spent a few minutes on it, so haven't fussed over connecting etc. Try 31% smoothing.

Attachment 76121

It's a fiddly business, and I will be interested to see what others suggest.
    Last edited by copespeak; 07-04-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Hope this forum helped a little better than critique! Good luck. I hope to see more from you.