ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tulips

Tulips

Some Tulips I drew/painted, while experimenting with some different brushes.
    Name:  Tulips2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  445.4 KB
    I know most people here can do a lot better but now the only standard I'm setting isn't other people who are professionals, it's what I could do 6 months ago.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Love the colors in the flowers

There is a lot of excitement in the way those flowers are painted.

Great looking tulips and I think there are a few of us that are a long long way from professional and are just enjoying our self

"Professional" is a term developed by the IRS to take your money to give a little of which to others to try to keep them from taking what little is left over before the IRS gets to come back and suck more. But I digress. . . (They are such an easy target, those tax collectors because everyone loves them so much.)

Anyway, 'Professional' is not a criteria that means anything (other than to the happy artist who is making money at it) other than it sort of lends a mark of credibility to what they say. But, having been around artists of all kinds, one learns to take everything we hear with a grain of salt. . . unless the person commenting is paying you, in which case the professional artist drops to a lesser position than an amateur on the food chain because the artist on a job often has to listen to people who know nothing at all about art -- their bosses, the business folk, who see art as a commodity and often turn to people at hand for their opinions of the professional artist's work -- eg. asking the passing janitor emptying trash in their building what they think, and also taking it home and asking their 6 year old kid.

Professionals, unless they're stars, have to listen and modify their work to suit. So one of the main criteria for being a 'pro' means they're pretty adept at ass kissing and modifying their work. And leave us not forget the other predator who feeds off the professional artist = the green-eyed monster of jealousy who lives off professional artists like a dragon picking off sheep on a hillside. The voice that then comes out of professional artists who have become possessed makes them sound like your standard issue old school vampire.

I find it so refreshing to hear people who are doing art because it's fun, especially before all the other stuff (see above) get's overlaid onto it. Your stuff is still very pure that way owning that you are aspiring to more, which is also a joyful thing. And I enjoy your work for that very much.

But I get your intention of what you're saying both as a way to compliment the others here and to try to not overstate your pleasure in a major accomplishment -- which this is for you. Clearly. Well done. And you have done well with going from scratch not having painted through your first tries and then the butterflies were where you were coming on strong, and now with the flowers. Quick advancement. It's definitely happening for you.

Anyway, these look great. I would consider perhaps giving your stems a little modeling with a little shadow perhaps coming from the flower itself and maybe consider turning the stem to where it feels more rounded like a cylinder by using form shadow to the edge. It looks like you were doing it a little but you could get away with more if you wanted to try it out for yourself to see.

The flower petals are nice. I like how you're differentiating bits of them to give them shape as well. Yeah, your progress is remarkable. I'm getting excited to see where you go with all this. Auspicious.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Ditto to all Mr Akey says.

Don't run yourself down, we are not!

ok ok ok ok ok, I'll rephrase it: People who actually have art training, so there. I'm finding things a lot better when using these other brushes, no, I don't know who made them so I can't say what the set is called. I never liked oil but I'm finding that in many ways it's more forgiving than other media.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Great job. I just recently posted my own work....and I am not really concerned how mine come out, only that to me they have captured what is on my mind at the time I paint them.

Lovely job on the tulips, really like the texture on the petals.
    Geoff

Awesome job on these tulips...love the color and the textures....