ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: [SOLVED] Artrage wont start the second time

[SOLVED] Artrage wont start the second time

Hi,
    I have a problem with Artrage4 (steam version). It only happened recently, my Artrage won't start the second time. I mean, when i first start my PC (I'm on windows 8) Artrage will open and work fine. BUt if i close Artrage and start it again it will freeze right after the loading screen closes and some of my panels will have a black border on them. I can get Artrage to work again if i restart my windows. Anyone can help me with this?

EDIT: I did reinstall Artrage via steam. Delete local contents and redownload the app
    Last edited by witcrack; 06-24-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Solved!

I reinstalled steam and it works alright now, though I've to go through a lot of hassle of making backups for all my installed games, but i guess that's how you do clean installation on steam. Maybe i should have bought Artrage here instead of via steam.. :/

Sorry to hear you had problems. As it sounds like it related to the Steam client, this info may be useful for you:

If you want to run Artrage without using the steam client, you can do that as we don't require the Steam DRM: ( this would mean that any problems that occur with the Steam client also shouldn't affect ArtRage )

For Windows:

-Locate the ArtRage executable in your Steam library

<installation folder of Steam>/steamapps/common/ArtRage 4/artrage.exe

You can either run it directly from here or add a shortcut to your desktop, Start menu pointing to artrage.exe in that folder. The default Steam installer which adds shortcuts to your Start menu includes the Steam startup process and some users prefer to run ArtRage independently.

-You can get your serial number by right clicking ArtRage 4 in your Steam library and choosing 'view CD key'. If you copy this to your clipboard then launch Artrage for the first time, the serial number boxes should be filled out automatically to save you having to enter it manually.

For OS X:

1. Open the steam client
    2. Locate ArtRage in the library
    3. Right click it
    4. Select Properties
    5. Go to the Local Files tab
    6. Click Browse Local Files

The app is there, launch from there or make a shortcut to that file.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Sorry to hear you had problems. As it sounds like it related to the Steam client, this info may be useful for you:

If you want to run Artrage without using the steam client, you can do that as we don't require the Steam DRM: ( this would mean that any problems that occur with the Steam client also shouldn't affect ArtRage )

For Windows:

-Locate the ArtRage executable in your Steam library

<installation folder of Steam>/steamapps/common/ArtRage 4/artrage.exe

You can either run it directly from here or add a shortcut to your desktop, Start menu pointing to artrage.exe in that folder. The default Steam installer which adds shortcuts to your Start menu includes the Steam startup process and some users prefer to run ArtRage independently.

-You can get your serial number by right clicking ArtRage 4 in your Steam library and choosing 'view CD key'. If you copy this to your clipboard then launch Artrage for the first time, the serial number boxes should be filled out automatically to save you having to enter it manually.

For OS X:

1. Open the steam client
    2. Locate ArtRage in the library
    3. Right click it
    4. Select Properties
    5. Go to the Local Files tab
    6. Click Browse Local Files

The app is there, launch from there or make a shortcut to that file.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying. I read this info about running AR without Steam like a month before. Since then I ran AR that way (with shortcut, placed on my taskbar) and it's during that time I came across the problem i mentioned above. I'm not tech-savvy and I can't confirm if the no-Steam procedure is causing the problem, but after I reinstalled Steam, I just play it "safe" and run AR with Steam. Still again, I can't confirm if it's really a "safer way" or not. If i can choose, I'd rather run AR without Steam since I'm easily distracted (those charming indie-games on steam! LoL), but I'm just afraid my AR get the same problem again -_-;

Thanks for the info. If you launch ArtRage without Steam it doesn't use any of the Steam features or require the client, so it should be fine to run without Steam. We haven't encountered any problems with this, but if you were to have any difficulties you can email me directly at support@artrage.com and I can do some troubleshooting with you. As you would be running ArtRage external to the Steam client you shouldn't need to reinstall it again to solve the problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Happened again but...

Just reporting back what I found. I think I know what causing the problem i wrote above. It's not steam and it's not AR. It's the multi wacom tablet drivers i installed. I borrowed Intuos from a friend and now that i had it returned, i plugged my old bamboo back and there we go again with the same problem. My AR won't start. I almost go and redo what i did, reinstalling steam and all... until ... i don't know how it came to me... but i thought "hey, maybe the drivers are conflicting!". Well, of course they are! silly me! It's never recommended to install two wacom drivers at the same time, now to think of it. So, yeah... don't do it folks
    Last edited by witcrack; 07-08-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks for letting us know, great to hear that it's all working again!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design