ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: No thumbnail previews of paintings in ArtRage 4?

Question No thumbnail previews of paintings in ArtRage 4?

I'm a scatterbrained type with a tendency to save files as "wat" or "workthingieWiP1" and get confused about it later. I seem to remember my old version of Artrage Studio having thumbnail previews, and I sort of got used to them! Here's what my thumbnails currently look like, do I have a bug or are thumbnail previews not featured for Artrage 4?
    Name:  AyiaFJr.png
Views: 278
Size:  323.9 KB

Googling/searching for a fix leads me back to to an old post in the forums about an older Artrage version, so I'm wondering if it's just me!

The thumbnail viewers are included in the ArtRage 4 installer but Windows Thumbnail Viewers are notoriously unreliable in general and sometimes just don't work due to any number of possible external circumstances we have no control over.

To make sure that the installation was given as good a chance as it could to get them working I would suggest doing this:

1. Uninstall any versions of ArtRage (including any older version) you have installed currently.
    2. Restart your computer. This ensures that any uninstalled DLLs have been fully removed.
    3. Install ArtRage 4 by right clicking the installer and choosing the option to open as administrator.
    4. Restart your computer (in case DLL registration is postponed to reboot).

That should allow the installer to install the thumbnail viewers properly, but as I mentioned above it may not resolve the problem if there's something else interfering with the system.

One tip: If you have an older version of ArtRage you want to keep you can still uninstall it (and should, to make sure that any thumbnail viewers associated with it are removed). Before you uninstall it locate its folder in Program Files and make a copy of that folder in a new location (don't move the original folder). Then you can launch it from that folder after uninstallation.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The thumbnail viewers are included in the ArtRage 4 installer but Windows Thumbnail Viewers are notoriously unreliable in general and sometimes just don't work due to any number of possible external circumstances we have no control over.

To make sure that the installation was given as good a chance as it could to get them working I would suggest doing this:

1. Uninstall any versions of ArtRage (including any older version) you have installed currently.
    2. Restart your computer. This ensures that any uninstalled DLLs have been fully removed.
    3. Install ArtRage 4 by right clicking the installer and choosing the option to open as administrator.
    4. Restart your computer (in case DLL registration is postponed to reboot).
    Did this to the letter, sadly did not work. Would a third party program like Ifran Viewer help or hinder? I've been recommended it for a similar reason for photoshop files.

I don't know what version of AR you have but in Win8 (xp?) when you right click on a icon,(in your case a image file), you get a menu with a hole lot of option of different sorts (copy paste zip rar ect),at the bottom of that menu is a " properties" menu, click on that and you should have the possibility to choose with what you want to open the file,in my case i had it set to AR studio pro and i have normale image icons,but as said above,Win can be often a pain......somewhere,lol.So the fact you seeing a AR icon means that there is no viewer "attach " to that kind of icon you need to attach one or a program capeble of doing so.
    I hope my explanation is understandable other wise my apologies .

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I don't know what version of AR you have but in Win8 (xp?) when you right click on a icon,(in your case a image file), you get a menu with a hole lot of option of different sorts (copy paste zip rar ect),at the bottom of that menu is a " properties" menu, click on that and you should have the possibility to choose with what you want to open the file,in my case i had it set to AR studio pro and i have normale image icons,but as said above,Win can be often a pain......somewhere,lol.So the fact you seeing a AR icon means that there is no viewer "attach " to that kind of icon you need to attach one or a program capeble of doing so.
    I hope my explanation is understandable other wise my apologies .
    I understood, don't worry! I am on Windows 7 at the moment, and uninstalled Artrage Studio Pro when I upgraded to 4. I's rather not reinstall it, but if that's a fix then so be it!

Ah, I was wondering why do I have these thumbnails in Artrage 3.5 while none of them are visible in Artrage 4.0. I kept both versions installed on my computer since 3.5 has round dials that I love.