ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Want to buy but.....

Want to buy but.....

I'm 60 years old, looking for software that can emulate my natural style. So over the last few weeks have been trying out the various products available. Thought I'd finally found what I was looking for, but it appears all Artist software must have at least one foible. It appears as if BLENDING is Artrage's. I've tried knife blending, dry soft brushing, etc...godforbid, found that using an oil brush with 98% thinners seems to come close.

I'm a neophyte when it come to digital painting, so I'm probably missing something simple like a blend button

Everything else in this software seems superb, but as I spend 90% of my painting time blending in one way or another need this solved if I'm going to purchase.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

But what's the problem? It doesn't blend enough, it takes you too long to blend or it doesn't blend they way you want it to? Adjusting pressure and size of the tools takes care of the first two (I actually go the other way since it seems everything blends too easily!). What effect are you trying to achieve? I'm new to ArtRage myself, but there seems to be lots of ways to blend, especially when it comes to wet oils. Also, changing blending mode to natural colour blending gives nicer results (right click on the colour picker, I think, to change it), similarly I find that using paint tube instead of the brush and then blending with the palette knife is easier to work with. To me it seems like the brush doesn't carry enough paint.

Thanks for the reply.

Doing a portrait for example, to obtain the blending on the face when using acrylics on canvas, i would quickly lay my block colours then dry brush them into each other. Getting nice even blend/gradient between them. A sky would be another example lay my block shades and then dry brush them together. What I'm trying to achieve is the gradually blending from one shade to the next. I can't seem to replicate this result in the software. I realise it's probably my lack of technique with the software, but I've tried everything I can think of, and the results still look very blocky.

Well this thread can be closed I think.
    Didn't even think about using water colours, as haven't painted with them in years. But in this software it's giving me the blending technique I'm looking for.

I'm glad you found a solution :] As for blending other than with watercolours for example painting a sky with oils I find that you need to use a few more shades of blue to get a nice progression. I just add a few dabs of "mid shade" paint and it helps. I'd be keen to see some of your creations with ArtRage :]