ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Getting ArtSupplies to work (PS brushes?)

Getting ArtSupplies to work (PS brushes?)

Hello,

I've been trying to get a few things to work and with a couple I've managed but the rest just doesn't behave the way I thought they would. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if this is supposed to be this way.

1. Take the PS brushes - I saw some posted here and saw some links to ones on the web. It said to load them up to the sticker spray, but then that's exactly what it is - sticker sprays, not brushes. Lets say I have "PS cloud brushes" - it just gives me lots of pictures of clouds, all rotating in a random order. Not really usable at all! Could work as a sticker, but then it's not an .stk so won't let me load them as stickers... So either way it doesn't really work.

2. Also, is there an easy way to get jpg images to work as stickers? There seem to be a few posted around, but they look nice, but come with a white, non-transparent background, which ruins them as stickers really. Unless you have no background at all in your painting.

3. Oh, and is there a way to make sticker sprays spray a certain way? Lets say I want my grass stickers to have all grass leaves pointing up and I'd love to have some control over the fur brushes too - they seem to rotate a lot. It'd be nice to have them follow a stroke, i.e. if I move my cursor horizontally I expect the hair in fur to follow horizontally, not to be perpendicular to the motion I'm making... It makes it really unnatural and hard to have to constantly think which way to move while using them!

Thanks for any input, I'm trying to play with the program, but I find some features a lot less intuitive than others. I was excited for ArtRage due its relative simplicity of use, but now I'm feeling a bit lost.

Cheers,
    M.

Unless the sticker is supposed to be a perfect square, then the image being imported into the sticker creator should be a .PNG file type with a transparent background. If you have seen images around the forums that were supposed to be used to create a sticker, it's likely the user who posted it didn't realize the image exceeded the forums limit size, which I believe automatically compresses the image to jpg file type.

Importing a PS brush only pulls the brush tip from the .abr file (the settings themselves cannot directly translate, so that information is not brought in). This doesn't mean that the effect can't be attained, however you need to have ArtRage Studio Pro or ArtRage 4, so you'll have access to the Variations panel.

Could you provide a link to a .abr file (such as the cloud one you mentioned)? I can see if I can get the same effect from it with ArtRage.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you.

So I need to find a way to convert those JPGs into PNGs or alternatively try to "cut" them out and then save as PNGs.

I've upgraded to AR4, but obviously still learning all the tricks and discovering possibilities.
    I got some PS brushes from here: http://www.brushlovers.com/search/Cloud%20Brush%20Set. I hoped that if I can get some brushes and play with those first it will make it easier to see how to adjust my own brushes to get desired effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirithiar View Post
    Thank you.

So I need to find a way to convert those JPGs into PNGs or alternatively try to "cut" them out and then save as PNGs.
    You will if they haven't provided a link to the actual sticker, or the PNG they used to make, yes.

I've upgraded to AR4, but obviously still learning all the tricks and discovering possibilities.
    I got some PS brushes from here: http://www.brushlovers.com/search/Cloud%20Brush%20Set. I hoped that if I can get some brushes and play with those first it will make it easier to see how to adjust my own brushes to get desired effects.
    I downloaded a couple of the sets that were offered at that link. While they call them "brushes", they're more like "stamps" of actual clouds (many of them even had harsh, squared edges to them). So they were never meant to be used like a brush, where you'd expect to drag or dab the tool to form a cloud. This isn't to say they wouldn't be useful, but they'd be more suitable for matte style painting.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Ok, so it's not something I'm doing wrong with the brushes then. At least that's good to know! Thank you for helping me out again, much appreciated.