ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image from my children's book: Bobby's Biggest Bubble

Smile Image from my children's book: Bobby's Biggest Bubble

I found using ArtRage Pro was the best program for me to use to get the line control I needed for my children's book.
    My story is very whimsical and funny, so I wanted the book to have a true Saturday morning cartoon style, using solid black outlines and vibrant flat "cel" coloring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobBigBubSmlLndScpImage.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	75928

Using the default "Round and Smooth" ink pen setting and adjusting it's Smoothing to about 40-50% gave me just enough control while keeping the line smooth and clean.
    This image was first pencil sketched, scanned and then placed into ArtRage where I traced in the ink lines (using about 9% pen size).
    Each element (e.g. kitchen background, the bubble) and character were drawn on separate layers, allowing composition/size adjustments.
    For coloring, I used the Watercolor setting of Wet on Dry to get the solid color fills.
    For highlighting and shading, I create separate layers and used the same Ink Pen, but only at a larger size (about 15%).
    For shading, the layer's Opacity was turned down to 15-20% using black as the color.
    For highlights, the layer's Opacity was turned down to about 60% using white as the color.
    When the image was finished, it was saved into a Photoshop PSD file (with layers) so that I could compile and convert all images into high quality TIF files and place them into Adobe's InDesign for publishing.

FYI: I plan to use ArtRage again for the book's sequel . . . love using this program!
    Last edited by Arrrggghhh; 06-16-2013 at 03:27 AM.

I love this :] So much going on! I really wish I could draw like that, I can imagine how I want my paintings and drawings to look, but cannot actually make them... Hopefully that's due to the lack of experience and it will get better with practice. Anyway, a bit of cartoon skill envy!

Thank you for sharing and also thank you for putting the little how-to steps at the bottom - I always enjoy knowing how something came into being (I'd love to see some in progress pictures too!). I love the solid colours, didn't think you could get that with watercolours, might have to have a play and try!

A fabulous cartoon! Thanks for sharing your methods, as everyone has their own way of achieving effects, and yours certainly work really well for you.

You choose not to do your preliminary sketch in AR? I used to do mine with a light box (pre AR), but, although I don't cartoon very often, I would now have a go at drawing in the program.

Great work!

Hahaha. Love it. Light & whimsical. Good storytelling drawing too.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Arrrggghhh,
    Absolutely beautiful artwork!!! Lots of energy, great details and interesting
    characters that would definitely appeal to the young at heart.
    Mairzie Dotes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    You choose not to do your preliminary sketch in AR? I used to do mine with a light box (pre AR), but, although I don't cartoon very often, I would now have a go at drawing in the program.
    Great work!
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Sorry I'm so late to respond, but I had forgotten the link to this area . . .

As for drawing, I still like the physical friction of pencil on paper.
    I must admit, since upgrading to a Wacom Cintiq, the difference in control and creativity makes it so much easier to work entirely on the computer.
    While I do use a hard felt nib on my Wacom pens for a grittier feel, it still doesn't provide the same level of physical control.
    I guess the tablet surface is just too slick and smooth . . . and I still find the sensitivity levels aren't as accurate if I used an actual ink pen/pencil.
    (But the ease of making instant corrections when drawing on a computer is definitely a plus.)

To show another example of why I love ArtRage Pro I attached another image from my book:
    In this two page spread, I easily created the background splashes using the paint roller brush in ArtRage Pro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2PgspreadBobBigBub.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	85122

What would probably take me several frustrating tries in other programs, was done in minutes using the paint roller brushes.

Again, I would just like to thank everyone for their kind comments, it's make me extremely happy when others enjoy the artwork.

Take care,
    Jim aka Arrrggghhh
    Last edited by Arrrggghhh; 01-15-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Art Rage seems to continually surprise with what can be done with it. I am very impressed with what you have been able to achieve.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Really love seeing ArtRage in publishing! Well done.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

You have such a great cartooning style. Thanks especially for sharing your methods. Very handy to know.