ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Faces/portraits

Faces/portraits

Hey there,
    I just noticed this sub-forum and realized that I had been using the 'what can you paint in 30 minutes' thread for this. I am starting out with learning to draw faces, and now that I have a drawing tablet I can use it to sketch and try everything without making a mess.
    So I began with that today, and made two drawings. One is horrible lol, but meant to pull myself out of the comfort zone (scared to show my portrait efforts), the other seems to be slightly better.
    I am still learning how to use the artrage tools, I am not used to them yet. The program is still complicating sometimes.

Anyway
    I would love it if people can give constructive feedback and advice when it comes to portraits. Because its easy to make the same mistakes over and over again without seeing it. Its wonderful when others can say what they see.
    Maybe I will get better some day

I`ll post the two drawings of today here for critique if that is ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oefening gezicht jumi 2012.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	75900
    Last edited by FantasyShades; 03-16-2016 at 03:51 AM.

Good efforts, both of them.

The vertical darker lines on the first one's nose could be softened, and have a look at your eyes, or a photo, and see how the eye is structured. The white finishes in the middle corner and a pink area follows on before you leave the eye.

The second one is the same, but well done.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I will keep both things in mind when I try the next one, maybe I will try some eyes and noses without a face as well.

I did some face practice again, and here are the results. I am still sometimes very confused about how artrage works. Sometimes tools suddenly dont do what I expect them to do anymore :P lol. It takes a lot of time.
    Anyway
    I tried to add the pink corner in the eyes, only its so small you cannot see it very clearly here. Maybe I should make it bigger next time. I think I am too careful with sizes sometimes.
    Also I have a problem with blending, I cannot seem to find the right tool setting for that yet.
    I know the first one is a bit odd, I just decided to add some fun to it by coloring the background and experimenting a bit.
    Helpful feedback is always appreciated

Name:  oefening khaleesi jpeg klein.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  29.3 KB

Oh and I did use references this time. The first one is sort of close to my own face. For the second one I used a picture of someone in a movie.
    Last edited by FantasyShades; 03-16-2016 at 03:51 AM.

I just found out more about the watercolor tool ^_^ which is way nicer to work with
    Another face practice:
    Name:  oefening 18 juni aquarel jpeg.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  72.2 KB

And the last one for this week she has a bit weird eyes I think, but I ran out of time so I did not change it anymore.
    Last edited by FantasyShades; 03-16-2016 at 03:50 AM.