ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Transparent background

Transparent background

Is there a way to export an image without the background?

First make sure that you have set your canvas to be transparent. In canvas properties, change the opacity to 0%. Then export your painting to a file format which supports transparency e.g. PNG. I hope this helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

wow, that was fast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    First make sure that you have set your canvas to be transparent. In canvas properties, change the opacity to 0%. Then export your painting to a file format which supports transparency e.g. PNG. I hope this helps!
    Is it possible to use this with the clipboard? I'd like to be able to send individual layers to and from my photo app.

Due to the way the clipboard works, you won't get transparency when pasting into another application.

I'm not sure if this is useful to you, but if you want to export individual layers with transparency, you could right click on the layer, choose 'export layer' and use PNG as your export format. You don't need a transparent canvas for that as the canvas is separate, the layer itself when exported as a PNG contains just the media with a transparent background.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Due to the way the clipboard works, you won't get transparency when pasting into another application.

I'm not sure if this is useful to you, but if you want to export individual layers with transparency, you could right click on the layer, choose 'export layer' and use PNG as your export format. You don't need a transparent canvas for that as the canvas is separate, the layer itself when exported as a PNG contains just the media with a transparent background.
    Using another application like Gimp, the clipboard does support transparency. I can copy and paste specifc layers or composites and it makes for a rapid workflow. I don't know how Gimp does this, perhaps there is an alternate Windows function call which accepts alpha channel for copy & paste operations to the clipboard. Perhaps the data is there and the application needs to dig for it.

If artrage supported alpha channel in the clipboard, I think the product would become a much more valuable tool for situations like people working on teams, with pre-existing content, with video/animation etc.

After the scripting appeared, I wondered about automating somehow. But the problem would remain with the other applications - they would need some customization as well. One of the features of windows is cut and paste between apps, and when it works it's like gold.

Like Photoshop our transparent format is a proprietary format that other apps can't render. We also store a general Windows format clipboard version of the image when we do a copy so that you can paste pre-rendered data in to other apps but that can't carry transparency due to a bunch of different transparent formats and how they operate (which is also why Photoshop doesn't tend to paste transparent data). It's possible that the Gimp version is simply storing a flat transparent format that we may be able to look at in the future.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Like Photoshop our transparent format is a proprietary format that other apps can't render. We also store a general Windows format clipboard version of the image when we do a copy so that you can paste pre-rendered data in to other apps but that can't carry transparency due to a bunch of different transparent formats and how they operate (which is also why Photoshop doesn't tend to paste transparent data). It's possible that the Gimp version is simply storing a flat transparent format that we may be able to look at in the future.
    Being able to copy and paste images with alpha would be a great feature to consider adding, and I think ArtRage's creative and elegant interface at a reasonable price would make it a compelling addition to more and more pros. Even if it was an alternate copy and paste command. Though i've yet to take advantage of it, your scripting interface presents exciting opportunities for animator/film artists - but an easy png image layer import and export command I would think is a requirement.

My understanding is that Gimp uses png which should be an open standard. As you likely know, Gimp is open source code. So how their format / interface accepts and delivers an image is available for programmers to see.

Photoshop is just unreasonably priced IMHO and I'd never use it.

Thanks again for this unique and fairly priced product.