Thread: Brushes, paper, lighting problem

Brushes, paper, lighting problem

Just purchased and installed on Windows 2000. Upgraded to current.

It appears that all colors are affected by the brush position on the page. With metal set to 0, the bottom right colors are MUCH darker than the top left corners. This means that there appears to be no method to get a true 'white' color in the bottom right of your drawing.

Certainly I'm overlooking something?

Thanks,
    David

(The following used a pure white brush all the way through.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi RandomOne,
    It looks like you've got the metallic setting of the paint up high.
    With metallic paint we use an environment map and different lighting to the non-metallic paints. You can change the amount of metallic look to the paints using the slider at the bottom of the colour-picker.

In the attached image the top stroke was done with the metallic slider at 100%, and the lower stroke was done with metallic at 0%. Both the strokes use the same colour, and the same brush settings.

If the slider isn't visible, try making ArtRage full-screen, then back to normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thank you. I knew it had to be something simple, but sure didn't know where. This thing is fun, although might that pose a small problem painting with metallic paint? Not that I'll need them...

Overall, kudos on a wonderful little program.

David

Gallery
    View images
    Part of what makes metallic paint and surfaces look metallic in the Real World is that it reflects the environment - the colour and light varies across the surface, even if the surface is flat.
    In ArtRage we do the same with a reflection map. And you can vary the amount of reflectivity if you just want a hint of pearlescent colours.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thank you. I was thinking in a different direction, where the reflectivity/specularity would be added as a function of stroke length. I understand why you did what you did, now.

David