ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hello from a new member

Hello from a new member

Hello there!

I'm a brand new owner of a Wacom Pen & Touch and just downloaded the ArtRage Studio Pro 3. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Where can I find the manual to ArtRage 3? I doesn't seem to be able to locate one, there wasn't one with the install package. I'm sure it's somewhere, probably somewhere obvious too...

2. I played with the Demo of AR4 before donwloading AR3 - I'll think about an upgrade if I get on with 3. Is the discount on upgrading to 4 limitless or do I only get a certain amount of time to decide?

3. I'm a bit, well, rubbish. I had a quick look at other programs (which seem way too complicated to me) - ArtRage seems very appealing and I'm excited to try it out properly, but nevertheless some tutorials would be nice. Can you guys recommend stuff other than the tutorials from the website? I'll have a look at the forums/google, but if anything pops into your head or you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

4. I'd be very interested in nature and wildlife drawings - but struggle with fur/feathers. Any extra tools to deal with that and make it easier in AR? Any tips?

5. I had a look through some of your work guys and you all are so very talented! I feel quite inadequate in comparison, but also inspired.

EDIT: I'm clearly too excited for my own good. Found the Art Supplies Book, just need to figure out how to add things into AR. Would you guys recommend just upgrading to AR4 straight away? I'm really tempted to just do that now, I guess most of you have the latest version and most "supplies" will be for that version too? I don't want to miss out. Also with the ArtRageous Magazine - are the tutorials in those? Is there an easy way to search through them or do just download and look through every single issue?

Sorry about all the newbie questions, I promise I'm prepared to do my part of the work too :]

All the best to you,
    Mirithiar
    Last edited by Mirithiar; 06-03-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirithiar View Post
    Hello there! I'm a brand new owner of a Wacom Pen & Touch and just downloaded the ArtRage Studio Pro 3.
    Welcome to the ArtRage Forums

1. Where can I find the manual to ArtRage 3? I doesn't seem to be able to locate one, there wasn't one with the install package. I'm sure it's somewhere, probably somewhere obvious too...
    Open ArtRage and then click on "Help" along the top menu bar. You should find an option that will open the manual there.

2. I played with the Demo of AR4 before donwloading AR3 - I'll think about an upgrade if I get on with 3. Is the discount on upgrading to 4 limitless or do I only get a certain amount of time to decide?
    Not sure on that one. Perhaps someone else may know, but you'll likely get a response from one of the AR dev team about it eventually.

3. I'm a bit, well, rubbish. I had a quick look at other programs (which seem way too complicated to me) - ArtRage seems very appealing and I'm excited to try it out properly, but nevertheless some tutorials would be nice. Can you guys recommend stuff other than the tutorials from the website? I'll have a look at the forums/google, but if anything pops into your head or you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    You could try searching YouTube. There's a few people posting tutorials on it there (myself included). There's also some here, in the Tips and Tricks forum area.

4. I'd be very interested in nature and wildlife drawings - but struggle with fur/feathers. Any extra tools to deal with that and make it easier in AR? Any tips?
    Not specifically, but there's a number of presets for things like fur, that work with the Sticker Spray tool as a brush (some come with the program, others may be found in the Supplies area of the forums here). Part of art it learning to manipulate the tools you have, into producing the effect you want to achieve and will be true no matter what media you choose to work with. There will be some trial and error involved.

Would you guys recommend just upgrading to AR4 straight away?
    I would recommend it, but the reasons would probably depend on the individual. I've listed my personal thoughts on it here: LINK

I'm really tempted to just do that now, I guess most of you have the latest version and most "supplies" will be for that version too? I don't want to miss out.
    It has the latest tools and items that are offered by the AR dev team, yes. If you're referring the "supplies" posted throughout the forums however, then it's a no. The supplies offered on the forums are created and uploaded by individual forum members who opted to share their personal items with the rest of the community and must therefor be downloaded separately.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-03-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you for your response. I'll keep reading the forums, looks like it's a really nice community with lots of talent and information. I'll look further on YT too - I quite often get speed drawings instead of "proper" tutorials in my searches. I've found your Spongy brushes - love them! I'll have a look for more animal related things like fur too.

I knew that manual will be somewhere obvious - thanks! Thank you for a link to your thoughts on AR4 too, that makes things a little bit clearer.

I used to paint a little when I was younger (a decade or so ago) and I used similar approach in AR. With watercolours, I remember drying my layers with a blowdryer, so in AR I used different layers to build an image too, from lightest to darkest. It works reasonably well I think. I need to find something similar when it comes to oils though - I remember them having great textures, but it seems like so far in AR my colours blend straight away and go rather "flat", losing a lot of texture from the brush strokes. I will probably need to play with the settings a bit to get my head around it and maybe get some more brushes.

If you don't want your colours to blend straight away, I paint on a fresh layer, then merge down and blend to the degree I want.

Thank you copespeak :] I still don't understand how exactly all the layers work (so far multiply seems like a useful one), but will definitely try that! Love the cockatoo in your profile pic.