Thread: Import Layer

Gallery
    View images

Import Layer

I'm sure this has been discussed before...

8) Adding layers to ArtRage was an excellent feature. In some ways you can simulate adding new layers of paint without waiting for the paint to dry. Plus many times IRL I like to use glazes and tints. So layers works great to mimic those effects.

It's great that we can Import Images to work on as well. That has helped tremendously in touching up old work that I've scanned in.

I would like to be able to import layers. Many times I will be working (sometimes for hours) and then realize maybe I should have used a background or element that I had done elsewhere and then I start over from scratch.

One thing I did recently is took something that was a background and erased the negative space. Then I put a layer behind it to create a new lighting effect. It would be great to be able to import an image or layer in the future.

While driving around town today, I thought about writing this very same request. I would spend money to upgrade today if it was available.

This would actually solve two problems. Another thread discusses straight lines and curves. This addition would allow you to create your lines and curves (and many other things), and then bring them into ArtRage and easily do the non-mathmatical elements. ArtRage + Xara would be a 'killer' combination.

Of course, this does involve certain technical difficulties, such as when a user imports a graphic that is larger than the current canvas. If it was me, I would allow the user to resize and move the imported graphic first thing, and then throw away anything that was beyond the canvas extents, to keep things simple, as ArtRage doesn't allow you to make selection sets and move things around.

Best wishes for this fantastic little program, and as you can tell, this idea has my entheusiastic support!

David

Oh - I forgot: This would also allow ArtRage to easily be used for photo collages, which would open up an entire other world. Using the eraser tool, you can achieve customly shaped transparencies, that had different transparencies at different places. I don't think a vector program could match that. (At least I know Xara can't.)

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the suggestion! Here's a trick you might be able to use for what you want for now.

If you select an empty layer, then load your image you want to import to a layer as a tracing paper, you can use the tracing paper menu ( down the bottom next to "Edit Tracing Image" to "Convert Tracing Image to Paint on this Layer". More clumsy than importing to a layer specifically but I thought I'd mention it as it would certainly allow you to import a background or effect to place behind other layers.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Absolutely incredibly wonderful, Dave! It makes this program suitable for so many additional things! (Even professional book covers.) That method is good enough for me.

Thanks!!!

Back to work...

Gallery
    View images

Hey! That's it!

A trick that I missed ops:

Thanks Dave for pointing that out! That works great!

Hmm I wonder what other little significant stuff I missed