ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stencils

Stencils

I have been finding that it is difficult to get any of the tools, brushes, airspray, etc to work within a stencil without first starting outside the stencil and working my way to the interior. This is with AR4. In Studio Pro, it works fine. Any hints as to what I might be missing with AR4?

Humm… strange, all my stencils are working as expected here in AR4 on my Mac Bobbi.
    One thought dose occur to me, and pleas do not be offended by me asking this, but are you actually in the correct Stencils "mode" for stenciling?
    What colour are your stencils?
    In "Stencil" mode they should be red. If I swap to say "Guide" mode (blue colour) or "Ruler" (white colour) then I can get strange behavior similar to what you describe.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Humm… strange, all my stencils are working as expected here in AR4 on my Mac Bobbi.
    One thought dose occur to me, and pleas do not be offended by me asking this, but are you actually in the correct Stencils "mode" for stenciling?
    What colour are your stencils?
    In "Stencil" mode they should be red. If I swap to say "Guide" mode (blue colour) or "Ruler" (white colour) then I can get strange behavior similar to what you describe.
    Thanks for your input. I am working on a PC. I do open the stencils in "Stencil" mode. The stencils are red. When I direct whatever tool, oil brush, roller, watercolor brush, etc., it will not fill unless I start the tool outside the stencil and drag it over the stencil. Unless I can find a sufficient blank area within the stencil, it will not fill when trying to paint within the stencil. I opened my Studio Pro and I have no problem in that version of Art Rage when using stencils. I am not sure what the glitch is, but I manage to work around it, but would like to be able to use the stencils without the fuss. Thank you again for your response to my question.

I see, is it happening with any and all stencils or just some?
    Is this something that has recently started happening or has your AR4 always done it?
    If it was happening to me with all stencils I think I would try re-installing the most recent version of AR4 again.
    Make sure you keep a copy of the 'Custom Content' folder so you don't loose any things you've added to AR. On a Mac that folder wouldn't get overwritten re-installing but I'm not sure with the Windows version, so better safe than sorry!
    If it still persists afterwards then that might indicate that its not a problem with AR4 per-say but something about your system maybe.
    Wish I could be more helpful.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I haven't seen that behaviour before - Could you let me know what kind of input device you are using and also send us a sample painting in which it happens? A fresh canvas with a single stencil on is fine if that has the problem, mail to support@artrage.com. We can take a look to see if there's anything in the settings specifically causing an issue.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    I haven't seen that behaviour before - Could you let me know what kind of input device you are using and also send us a sample painting in which it happens? A fresh canvas with a single stencil on is fine if that has the problem, mail to support@artrage.com. We can take a look to see if there's anything in the settings specifically causing an issue.
    Matt, thank you for your reply. I can only say that the problem occurs when I use a complex stencil with a lot of material in the image. When I take a paint brush, for example, and try painting directly on the stencil, it will not lay down any paint. If I start on the outside of the stencil and move the brush back over the stencil's image, then the paint lays down.