ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Kissed by leisure...

Kissed by leisure...

... i took a photo from somewhere and drew....

careful, nudity... but tasteful

also look at my deviantArt site: http://mindvampire.deviantart.com/

pencil - pressure 30, softness 40, angle 15, thickness 100
    layer 1 - outline
    layer 2 - cross hatch

please comment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kissed_by_leisure__by_mindvampire_451.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	5529  

excellent virtual pencil work!!!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

That's phenomenal! The pencil work is really fantastic.
    Welcome to the forum, Storyteller.

Regarding your question about zooming the canvas: Currently there isn't a key modifier to do instant click-drag zooming. However here are a couple of shortcuts to remember:
    'Z' will take you straight to the zoom tool, then click and drag to zoom.
    '1' - '9' and '0', '-', and '=' correspond to the paint tools.

So in your case, as you were doing pencil work, 'z' to zoom, then '2' back to pencil.
    Also <ctrl>+ and <ctrl>- zoom in an out in steps.
    Press the 'd' key to instanty reset zooming (and rotation) of your canvas.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

thanks for the shortcuts. btw. i never will reset zoom and rotation. the hatching technique which i use needs me to turn the paper constantly to draw the lines into the curvature of the detail. but zooming is very useful for getting details.

i had difficulties with the fingers, because i am not used to this paper grain and the pen tip behavior to pixelate when in zoomed view... i used a paper size of 2100 x 2970 but i think it is still too small for some details.

any hint on this?

Maybe you can try reducing the paper roughness to zero. Don't know what version of AR you have, but on mine (paid version 2.2) you can edit paper quality down on the layer palette (center bottom) by using the little arrow on the lower right hand side. (I think). Good luck.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

It indeed looks like pencil!

Very detailed... how long did it take to make?
    Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. -S. Beckett

the outlining work took about 2hrs, the hatching about 6 hrs... i fell in love during that time..... with AR i mean, of course.

i know there is still improvement potential, especially on the details of the hand - the fingers are too thick. i have some problems finding the correct pencil tip parameters to draw those fine lines, and after some hours of usage the Volito smoothed the tablet surface due to the pressure of the tip and then the pen slips over the tablet.

i found some SUGGESTIONS or questions:

- when I hold a real pencil in the right hand and tilt it to wipe a line rather than drawing, then the track of hardest pressure is on the tip side and becoming softer to wood. but the direction of the pencil keeps the same at all drawing positions. In AR the pencil behaves like a paintbrush with a flexible physiqued tip. this is incorrect. see example.

- would it be possible to have an option to switch on the display of the actual tool with a piece of its shaft in its actual drawing position (like the tool cursor in AR WACOM Edition, but with rotation and tilting) during the whole drawing, instead of or additionally to using a precision cursor.

- an option to turn off the "tip rotation follows drawing flow" behavior and to enter a fixed rotation angle for the tip instead, would help a lot.

- you have a nice option to clean the paintbrush when using oil color. but it would be nice for pencil artworkers, if there would be an option to wear down the pencil tip and to sharpen it again using a pencil-sharpener.

- sometimes i want to wipe my pencil lines with my fingers to get a more smoothed look. is is possible to have a wiping tool (perhaps made from furled blotting paper)?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you use a tablet that supports 'tilt' and 'rotation (or orientation)' as well as pressure, the orientation of the pencil remains fixed with respect to the pen.
    The Volito tablet doesn't support tilt or rotation of the stylus, so the orientation of the pencil appears to follow the path of the stroke.
    If you had a Graphire or Intuos Wacom tablet the pencil would more closely match the behaviour of your stylus.
    We've considered an option to keep the orientation of the pencil fixed when there's no tilt information from the stylus - we'll think about it more!

You can smudge your pencil slightly using the palette knife. Use a small palette knife and adjust the pressure setting to suit the amount of smudging you want.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Very lovely. You mentioned yourself the fingers look a tad off, but what I mostly miss, is the shadow she herself should cast. It'd be perfect with that.

thanks for the compliment. actually she was sitting on a wrinkled piece of cloth. but ok, ok, i admit i am a lazy guy, who just enjoys drawing nice curves, instead of doing the hard work. who claims the opposite for himself? ...but ok, you won! ...gee, i guess i will go back to pen and paper (oops, computer i mean) and add the background for the sake of completeness. ...what do you think, should i add color to the picture?