ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum and digi art! Hair tips please?

New to the forum and digi art! Hair tips please?

Hi guys!

I just bought my Bamboo Splash 2 days ago and I am starting to get to know it a little. First time I'm working in anything digital too, before I only drew by hand, and only with graphyte so even working in color is new for me.

I am a big fan of the walking dead, and especially Norman Reedus, so I guess I gave myself a hard time and started out with a difficult one; a portrait. I am quite proud of what it looks like so far, but I am kind of dreading starting with the hair and facial hair. Does anyone have any tips? Also, what can I do with my eyebrows to make them look more.... eyebrow-y? It's going to be a while untill I get there, but that gives me a little bit to play around with my tools a little more.

Here is what I have so far. On the right I am still colorblocking, so please ignore. :P I need to make the right eye a little more squinty but that will be for when I do the skin around the eye. Eventually I will do the full face like it is on the original picture.

I tried to post the ref pic but it won't let me.. If you want to see it, google images for Norman Reedus eyes and it will be one of the first images, with a very dark background.

Thank you! ^_^

Sorry for my bad English (I never had English education)

When I am doing eyebrows I like to carry the skin tones over where the eyebrows will be and then on a new layer using the pen tool with a taper I draw in individual hairs.
    I mainly do females where the skin tends to show through the brows a little more than a male.
    Geoff

Attachment 75688

Yes, I would lighten the area behind and then do as Geoff says. You can always smudge the back layer a bit to get away from the 'every hair' effect. Definitely work on new layers so you can play until you get it right.

You've done a great job up until now.

Thank you!

I downloaded those brushes and tried them out, they were huge!!! LOL They were set at 100 % and it filled the whole page so that scared me for a second. Very useful though and I will definately find a use for them! Thank you for the link!

I have been playing around with the "hair brush" tool a bit in a new layer but I'm not really liking the result yet... It just looks awkward. I'll be fiddling with it some more, maybe I'm just not doing it right yet. So do you think it would look better if I did the whole face "hairless" first and then add in all the hair? I was doing that for the beard but for some stupid reason I never thought of the eyebrows like that...

Thank you for posting the picture by the way!

Also, does anyone know of a good hair tutorial? I am very much a visual person (as I am sure a lot of people are here) and I tend to grasp things much more easily when I see them done versus when someone explains something to me...

Decided to give that a shot. I took out the eyebrows and did some more work on the forehead and bridge of his nose. It looks weird to me without eyebrows. :P But I will probably be doing the eyebrows in a new layer until I like them and then merge. I also dod a little more blending so the skin would look a little smoother.

I love this pencil for painting hair by hair thin smooth paintline
    you can find it here
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ht=pencil+pack

JMMK

Thank you! I tried to download it but it said there were technical problems... I will try again tomorrow.

OK, so I gave the hairbrush another shot. The beard still needs lots of work, but I'm pretty happy with how the eyebrows turned out. Please note that I did not do a lot with the mouth yet. I know, it looks totally out of place. LOL. It will be corrected later though

Well Jacky i like how the eyebrows have turned out, the nice thing about having key face elements on separate layers is the ability to change opacity, colour and many other adjustments to just that item without changing anything else.
    Geoff

Well done Jacky.
    If you still want the download of the sp pencil pack from screenpainter,
    Wait till the message "There was a problem with your download" disappears

then you get the message restarting download, and after that you can download the pencil pack

I would like to give it to you, but I don't know how (I only know how to do pictures here)

JMMK