ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Spring - a watercolour experiment

Spring - a watercolour experiment

Name:  spring-abstract.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  58.8 KB
    I used all kinds of watercolour settings for that abstract painting. Added some chalk to it as well. I am looking forward to your critique and comments!
    Ulla
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    http://ullahennig-art-and-photos.weebly.com/

Love your colors. Very nice.

Great play

It is wonderful when art is also colorful fun!

Having fun Ulla!

Good that you had an idea from which you were abstracting.

Commenting on something like this is like trying to tell you what's in your soul and whether or not you are speaking from there and how effectively. It's impossible. And when I can't perceive your personal process, and when you remove the mind which would be saying to do this or that, when you are painting from your gut, I can only speak from my gut reaction. And that's unfair because I might not be in the same universe at all.

One of the things one forfeits when leaving convention behind is people's ability to use such conventions as a point of evaluation.

So please take what I'm saying with a HUGE grain of salt. It looks to me like you were experimenting using a subject that you have an emotional fondness for. And you clearly have associations for this appearance that I do not share, mainly because you have lived a different life from me. You have seen different things. You have experienced contexts that make what you did meaningful to you.

I think I would name this Springtime in Paisley. . . but that's just me. It looks to me like you have fond associations with that style, that interpretation. Maybe you had a nice dress made of it, or loved hippies and peace and love, earthy and female. Maybe it reminds you of a period in your life in which you felt what this setting does for you. It also has a childlike though energetic naive quality in which it's pure expression with the brush. And it looks like it could be set decorations for a particular performance by grade school kids for their class, where they sing a little or what have you.

I don't rightly know.

This painting goes contrary to my picture making process on most levels. But that's because of the kind of artist I am and the kind of art I like. I am more into focal points and leading the eye and so forth.

So to say what I would say, right or wrong, is that I would find what it is about this painting that holds your voice. What are you getting at. Dig a little, go introspective and it will talk to you. And once you know what that is, enhance that part of the voice that is emerging here. And then once you find what you are doing unconsciously, bring it a little more conscious and evolve it into something a little more articulate.

But that's just my take on it. Like I said, I'm coming from a different camp on this than you, I think. . . so I could be leading you down the primrose path when in fact you were skipping through rows of hydrangea.

Keep having fun. Your inner compass is what you are developing. I'm just someone voicing something that you bounce things off of, and you could conclude I'm really off. But at least you will have sharpened your direction because of it.

Go ULLA GO!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D Akey, thanks for your detailed comment. You see me blushing. Actually I had no idea in the beginning what I was abstracting from. I had no image in my mind or before my eyes. I just played with colours and watercolour settings without knowing about the direction it would take. In the middle of the painting process I simply thought a bit of pink glazing may be fine, and when I'd done that it reminded me of the pink blossoms I'd seen in spring. Now I had an image in my mind, and I put on some finishing touches in order to get it nearer to the image in my mind. And so I called the finished painting "spring". I love the bright green in spring, having a lot of yellow in it. It speaks to me of the new life, of energy and the joy of life. So I can look at the painting and say "spring".
    This painting may not speak to everyone, but it speaks to me...
    It is really difficult for me to explain my art process, not only because of the language (English is my second language), but also because of the complexity of the process itself...
    Ulla

Very nice abstract , it expresses well the spring atmosphere....
    a spring that is late in appear in reality
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Looks great Ulla, to me it looks like I'm looking through the tree limbs and seeing all the colours in the forest

a nice work with many rich details, and the overall feeling is fresh and open.... lovely work

Thanks again!

Thank you so much, Jean, Silvia and gxhpainter, for your kind and encouraging comments!
    Ulla