ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Digital Animal Portrait Drawing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    210

    Digital Animal Portrait Drawing

    Greetings,
    After finishing my dog portrait drawing, I decided to have a surf around on the net to see if I could see some other examples of what I call digital realistic animal portraiture, where I found some super work by various artists on Flickr, a few on deviantart and just in general on the net, however not a large amount, which kind of surprised me. I also came across a few comments that were basically suggesting that it is a waste of time to do work like this in a digital format....just take a photo instead ! Being still reasonably new to this type of art I am still finding my feet but I do know that I have set my heart on transfering my drawing skills that I used for Pet Portraiture to digital, as in my GS dog.

    So my question is to you all, my peers what are your thoughts on this....is it a waste of time ?

    I know concept art, manga, anime, fantasy,robotics, etc are very popular in the graphic industry and every artist has a favourite niche they like to work in, mine just happens to be anything that walks on four legs in a realistic style....with a few oddballs thrown in for good measure.

    Thank you for any comments.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,816
    I did pet portraits for many years and would comment that if someone commissions you, they will most likely want a hard copy in natural media. There's nothing like getting your hands on it and taking it to the framer.

    And would you do it digitally if you can provide the original image that no-one else might want?

    The option of commissioning online and providing a file they can take to the printer would overcome the tyranny of distance and save time, but would you make as much money for your hard work?

    All of this depends on what you are prepared to accept for your work. A couple of years ago I paid someone on Ebay to do fun caricatures of some friends for $15 each, where they did them digitally, sent me the file and I got them printed. Great fun, but very cheap.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, On., Canada
    Posts
    5,356
    I have done and printed a few but only asked for the owner to make a donation to a dog rescue as I was just enjoying myself, you can see them here if your interested (Shadow, Lord Nelson, Dudley Duke of Earl and Duchess of Earl were/are my dogs)

    http://www.pbase.com/justjean/animals
    Last edited by justjean; 05-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    I did pet portraits for many years and would comment that if someone commissions you, they will most likely want a hard copy in natural media. There's nothing like getting your hands on it and taking it to the framer.

    And would you do it digitally if you can provide the original image that no-one else might want?

    The option of commissioning online and providing a file they can take to the printer would overcome the tyranny of distance and save time, but would you make as much money for your hard work?

    All of this depends on what you are prepared to accept for your work. A couple of years ago I paid someone on Ebay to do fun caricatures of some friends for $15 each, where they did them digitally, sent me the file and I got them printed. Great fun, but very cheap.
    Thanks for your input copespeak.....yes I understand exactly what you mean and did for many years work to commission using Graphite and Coloured Pencil as my mediums and was lucky enough to do quite well with it,however that side of my work is now finished with and I just use pen and ink plus AR. I know the price would have to be a whole cheaper but in mind I am ok with that to a certain degree as I do plan to put a lot of what I create on to products in my zazzle shop which is great to use but not a whole lot of money to be made there. I think creating for the love of it is my real passion (just love drawing dogs) anything monetary to be made is a bonus, so methinks I am happy with that


    Thank you JustJean I will have a look at your pictures

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    I have done and printed a few but only asked for the owner to make a donation to a dog rescue as I was just enjoying myself, you can see them here if your interested (Shadow, Lord Nelson, Dudley Duke of Earl and Duchess of Earl were/are my dogs)

    http://www.pbase.com/justjean/animals

    I just had a look at your gallery wow love your portraits and I can see how much OES feature in your life...bobtails are just so much fun with their nutty characters love the Saint Bernard, had one of those too...beautiful dogs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, On., Canada
    Posts
    5,356
    Thank you and my grandfather raised and showed bobtails and they were such a big part of my childhood that's were the love of them came from and believe it or not I'm scared to death of any dog that does not own me

    Just had a look at your Zendoodle Owls they are fantastic , I have dabbled in zendoodles a bit but not near your expertise

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Thank you and my grandfather raised and showed bobtails and they were such a big part of my childhood that's were the love of them came from and believe it or not I'm scared to death of any dog that does not own me

    Just had a look at your Zendoodle Owls they are fantastic , I have dabbled in zendoodles a bit but not near your expertise

    Oh yes totally agree with you...Monty my OES was a real love and I had such special bond with him, I had to let him go 3 years ago as his back legs had gone but he lived to the ripe old age of 13 which is quite good for this breed...I still miss him though as I do all my others. I now have a little Bedlington x Border terrier, a rescue who really does own us in every sense of the word lol, I love her to pieces cos she is so funny, but being a rescue we did have major problems with her in the beginning, but love and patience works wonders.


    I take it you saw these on my blog...which I have to seriously update..yep I love zendoodling and have been for a while now...love working in pen and ink, once I decide what I am going to do with my blog I will be putting more up..thanks for looking.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Staffordshire! UK
    Posts
    975
    I also like doing digital animals, they are done for my own pleasure and if they are liked by others that's a bonus. I am a bit dried up at the moment for something to do. I won't just copy any photos unless they are from my own photos or have permission from the original photographer.
    Two of the painting have been shown in two exhibition, one in Santa Monica and one in Spain a few months ago representing ArtRage.
    This is my Gallery http://members.artrage.com/gallery_categories/28
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

    Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

    http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    I also like doing digital animals, they are done for my own pleasure and if they are liked by others that's a bonus. I am a bit dried up at the moment for something to do. I won't just copy any photos unless they are from my own photos or have permission from the original photographer.
    Two of the painting have been shown in two exhibition, one in Santa Monica and one in Spain a few months ago representing ArtRage.
    This is my Gallery http://members.artrage.com/gallery_categories/28
    Thanks for your comment Saphire I had a little look at your gallery when I first joined and was amazed at your work, so wonderfully done. Like you I prefer to work from my own photos and have hundreds of doggy ones taken over the years from shows, so not short of inspiration. I like to do wildlife too especially the big cats, have a few pics taken at Wildlife parks.

    If you are stuck for something to do and need some photos I am happy to send you some of mine.....I am not the worlds best photographer but good enough to use the pics as reference..pm me if interested and I will send you a selection via email.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Staffordshire! UK
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by drawing4art View Post
    Thanks for your comment Saphire I had a little look at your gallery when I first joined and was amazed at your work, so wonderfully done. Like you I prefer to work from my own photos and have hundreds of doggy ones taken over the years from shows, so not short of inspiration. I like to do wildlife too especially the big cats, have a few pics taken at Wildlife parks.

    If you are stuck for something to do and need some photos I am happy to send you some of mine.....I am not the worlds best photographer but good enough to use the pics as reference..pm me if interested and I will send you a selection via email.
    Thank you for your offer drawin4art, I may come back to you on that. I am going through all my old photo albums and slides transferring them to disk slowly. I have cupboards full of photos and need to get rid, putting them all on disk is the way to go these days much easier to sort.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

    Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

    http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •