ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Enlarging print size

Enlarging print size

Hi

I don't know how ArtRage handles it's files.

I have someone who wants one of my paintings. It is created it at an A4 print size at 150dpi.

She wants it at A3 size at 300dpi.

If I do this conversion inside ArtRage4 will the file still produce a clear unpixellated image? I don't have an A3 printer to experiment with.

Anyone know how this works?

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

You will get some loss of quality when enlarging images so the result will not be as clear as the original. It won't be pixellated but it will become more blurry. You'd be stretching the original image considerably to go from A4 to A3 and 150 DPI to 300 DPI as you're doubling both the dimensions and the DPI so I would say the quality loss could be very noticeable. It's best to paint at the target resolution you want to output at as reducing the size ( if you need a smaller version ) is less destructive than enlarging it.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Dave.

Unfortunately my 2011 Mac Mini (4GB RAM) just won't handle drawing at A3 and 300dpi, the lag makes it unusable.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

You could also try painting it at a lower resolution with script recording turned on ( don't choose the option to include the current painting when you begin, or it will lock the playback size ), then play back the script at the desired size later. The result may not be pixel perfect due to the organic nature of the simulation ( tools need to be resized when playing back at different sizes ) but it can provide a way to reproduce your work at different sizes as a script is a set of painting instructions so doesn't have the same limitations as trying to stretch an image.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dang me Dave. Great idea! I'll try it and see how that goes.

Cheers

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========