ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage 2.2 gone Wonky

ArtRage 2.2 gone Wonky

I frequently have the problem where my Digitizer pen won't disengage the canvas and brush strokes trail all over the canvas until I tap it enough it releases. I thought maybe it was just my pen but then it did the same thing with my Wacom pad today.

Well today things got a bit wonkier. I have know idea how to describe it cept show you a pic. ArtRage kind of exploded or something. :shock:

I've never seen a program do that. It's pretty crazy.

Anyway the pen is stuck again and I'll have to close it without being able to save. Fortunately I save frequently.

~Edit...well it snapped back after about 5 mins and I was able to save. But that crazy pen is annoying.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blimey... It looks like you've caught a transition widget half-way though a transition. (If you click the layers button in the preview pane repeatedly the wobbly effect when the layers panel shows up is a transition widget).

Obviously, that's not supposed to happen!

Are you using the Full version or Free version of ArtRage? If you go to the help menu, and select 'About ArtRage' what version is it?

Regarding the tablet problem: Inside ArtRage do you have the 'mouse mode' preference enabled? (See attached picture).
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Howdy Andy

No it's not in mouse mode. And I do have the full version 2.2.9.

If no one else has reported the pen issue then I'm guessing it's a hardware problem. More than likely the screen itself since it happens when I'm using the Wacom Pad and pen as well.

I have a Gateway CX200S Convertable Tablet.

Once the problem starts I noticed it briefly carries over to regular pen functions elsewhere. If I alt+tab enough time sometimes or tap repeatedly on the screen it breaks the pen free after a couple minutes.

When I'm in the program drawing sometimes the pen will get stuck and will start drawing all over the canvas tracking with the pointer. When I finally get it free and click undo it usually erases quite a bit of whatever shading I was doing before it messes up.

Now that I'm thinking about it more information might help with this particular instance. It was in the "Position Tracing Image" mode when it went wonky. I clicked ok to go back and it got stuck at a transition. The tracing image was stuck to the pen and would track with the pen all over the screen. After about 5 mins if finally snapped back to the regular picture.

It could even be a memory issue (I have 1.6 Gig of RAM). Although it usually doesn't lag behind unless there is an update or system scan in progress.

Ah, great thanks for that. I couldn't remember what functions caused all the panels to be involved in a transition, but ending tracing edit does.

Regarding 'Mouse Mode' - try turning it on for a while to see if that reduces the pen's mouse-up problem.

I switched to Mouse Mode. Everything started out great as usual. Then after about 15 minutes the Mouse-up problem started back up again.

That's very very very odd!
    I wonder if you have any other applications running that could be interfering with it.

Technical gibberish while I think out loud:
    Even if your tablet pc is slowing down due to memory fragmentation or the like it should still cache the mouse event to ensure the stroke gets a 'completion' message. So what could be pulling the mouse up message out of the queue... ?

Do you use any mouse helper utilities, or the like?

Thanks Andy for puzzling over this with me! You guys are definitely dedicated customer satisfaction.

Awk...my last session did it again with the mouse-up problem. Finally it left ArtRage unresponsive and I had to close using Alt+F4 End Process.

I don't use anything out of the ordinary for the mouse. Tablet PC has a utility to change the pen basic pen setup but I rarely touch it. I mostly use it for calibration. The Wacom Pad I use sometimes has a pen utility as well but the problem appeared before I installed that.

ArtRage is the only Application that shows in the task manager. However there are tons of processes running in the background.

I have one program that has always runs in the background. I've never been able to figure out what it is. It cues on the taskbar but a window never pops up. I'm guessing it is some kind of updater. Whatever it is I'd love to shut it off. I had to get the Windows XP tweak UI from Microsoft to keep the bugger from interrupting what ever window I'm working in. Whatever it was kept "stealing focus" Hmm...I just went to the settings and it was switched back Bloody Gremlins!

I'll test it now that I've changed the settings. If that program interupts ArtRage while I have the pen down it may be the culpret. I wish I could figure out what that program is. Whatever it is, my comp came from the factory like that.

Well I'll check back after a while...thanks again.

Well, Dave is a genius when it comes to solving 'Strange background Task' problems.
    Send him an email, with a list of your processes from the Task Manager list. Before you open Task Manager, close all the applications you can.
    That will make the Process list as short as you can make it. Anything left running is a likely culprit.

An application stealing focus during a paintstroke is definitely a possible cause of the problem.

Well after about 15 minutes the problem came back so that didn't fix it.

One thing I've learned to do a long time ago is Save Often!

Alright I'll shoot Dave an email 8)

You can check what is set to run on startup by running 'msconfig" by going to start/run and then click on the "Startup" panel, untick anything you figure you don't need then reboot?
    If you got it from somewhere like Dell or something, they probably loaded it with crap.

Do you have any anti-virus installed?