ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Selection Tool does not work

Selection Tool does not work

I recently bought ArtRage 4 back in March but ever since I've been using it, I could never get the selection tool to work. I tried to press M1 and drag but it does not work. I tried deselecting and then try to use the tool again but to no avail. I can't find a feasible solution to this problem. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Hi and welcome Oomikami,
    I'm not entirely sure why it's not working for you. The M1 key stroke you are trying is not one I recognize.
    Maybe the attached will be of help and there's more useful information on p53 of the manual.
    To transform the area you have marked out, switch to the "Transform" tool and click inside the selection area. A manipulator box with control handles will appear to enable you to move/alter just that section of the painting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2013-05-17 at 23.40.58.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	75587
    Last edited by markw; 05-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi and welcome Oomikami,
    I'm not entirely sure why it's not working for you. The M1 key stroke you are trying is not one I recognize.
    Maybe the attached will be of help and there's more useful information on p53 of the manual.
    To transform the area you have marked out, switch to the "Transform" tool and click inside the selection area. A manipulator box with control handles will appear to enable you to move/alter just that section of the painting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2013-05-17 at 23.40.58.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	75587
    I know the transform tool is active and I'm using the left mouse button to try make an input but nothing happens.
    The polygon selection tool works fine but the square, circle, and freehand are the only ones not working...I really don't know what to do, it's becoming very difficult to work with this program...

That's very odd behaviour you're seeing, could you contact us via support@artrage.com and include details of the computer you're using it on and we can do some troubleshooting to help. There should be no reason for those selection modes failing if you're just clicking and dragging. Please let us know what you see when you click drag (eg. does the selection outline appear as you drag) and what happens when you release the mouse. Note that the modes that aren't working for you are different to the others in that you need to drag to define the area, not just click one corner then the next.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I had the same problem with ArtRage 4 on a touchscreen Sony Tab 20 Windows 8 machine. This only seems to happen when using the mouse. Problem goes away when using a stylus.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dougc View Post
    I had the same problem with ArtRage 4 on a touchscreen Sony Tab 20 Windows 8 machine. This only seems to happen when using the mouse. Problem goes away when using a stylus.
    Thank you! Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but this helped. I was also having trouble with the rectangular selection tool using ArtRage 4 (just upgraded) on Windows 8.1 with a mouse and this post gave me the clue to uncheck tablet/stylus-related items in the AR4 preferences, after which selection using the mouse works fine!

Of course AR4 works so brilliantly that I am finally motivated to hook up a tablet and stylus and recheck those boxes!

Best wishes to all,

Kevin in Gainesville, Florida