ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Side and Top Rulers?

Side and Top Rulers?

I have been using Photoshop to make drawings for tile mosaics. In Photoshop I have permanent rulers along the top and side of my drawings so that I know exactly how large my mosaic is. I can print it exactly to size. I can count on what my finished product will be. However, I find drawing with Photoshop not very easy and have been looking for a drawing program. I downloaded the ArtRage 4 demo. I particularly like the way I can draw straight lines with ArtRage but I cannot make the ruler stencil work the way I need. Is there a way to do what I need?

You'll find you have three options as to how stencils behave. Right click over the ruler if you're on a pc - go to the built in manual and check about stencils if on a Mac (sorry, I'm not a Mac user) - you have the three options at the top of the drop down that right clicking offers. 'Ruler' or 'Guide' (ruler goes blue) modes should be suitable. Just draw along the ruler near the edge you want and the line appears along the outside edge, with whatever tool you are using. Hope that helps.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Hi and welcome Ekaki,
    If your canvas has to be an exact size for printing then the easiest option is to set your canvas size before painting to the required size.
    After launching AR go to; File > New Painting… In the window that opens, click on the "Print Size" tab.
    In the box marked "Pixels/Inch" enter in your desired image resolution. (the default is 72 but for print work something in the 200/300 range will be better) And in the size boxes enter the dimensions you want the finished work to be. Lastly you can choose the type of canvas you want to paint on.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Top and Side Rulers

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    You'll find you have three options as to how stencils behave. Right click over the ruler if you're on a pc - go to the built in manual and check about stencils if on a Mac (sorry, I'm not a Mac user) - you have the three options at the top of the drop down that right clicking offers. 'Ruler' or 'Guide' (ruler goes blue) modes should be suitable. Just draw along the ruler near the edge you want and the line appears along the outside edge, with whatever tool you are using. Hope that helps.
    I read about drawing along the ruler in the PDF manual. That does not solve my problem that I can tell. Maybe with practice, I would learn to somehow apply the rulers in the way I need, but, if it would work as I need it, it is not obvious. I wish I could have someone sitting beside me telling me what to do. Using Photoshop, I am used to having a page size with the rulers along the side and top. I can draw my tiles on the page and place them where I want them to fit a certain size. I can increase the canvass size equally all around my drawing if I want to (say 1 inch all the way around). Then the rulers show the drawing starting down and in one inch with room to add a row of 1-inch tiles all the way around. Does that make sense? Maybe this program will not work for what I think I need, or maybe I could somehow adjust how I work -- I have no clue. (BTW, I am working on a PC.)

In no way have I mastered using Photoshop, which is probably a good part of my problem -- I know it can do almost anything. It looks like ArtRage 4 would be much easier to use for the actual drawing of designs if I could just solve the size issue. Maybe what I am looking for just does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi and welcome Ekaki,
    If your canvas has to be an exact size for printing then the easiest option is to set your canvas size before painting to the required size.
    After launching AR go to; File > New Painting… In the window that opens, click on the "Print Size" tab.
    In the box marked "Pixels/Inch" enter in your desired image resolution. (the default is 72 but for print work something in the 200/300 range will be better) And in the size boxes enter the dimensions you want the finished work to be. Lastly you can choose the type of canvas you want to paint on.
    Hmmm, I will try this. It might be the solution. Thanks!