ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Futuristic City

Futuristic City

Hi All

Another digital image mix.....Poser 9, ArtRage 4

Hope you enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FuturisticCity3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	75433

Nice, though the plain water is bothering me a little >..> uneven compared to the top which is pretty busy...

But overall nice work

Yggdroid

Thanks.....I am not sure what you mean...the late evening sky and the ocean clash? or ? The light is coming from behind the city onto the ocean. Is it too light?

need input, anyone.........? What do you think it needs? or????

Thanks for your input.

Well since you asked, the water is not detailed and is so plain it could read as open daytime sky. But since that wouldn't be logical, the mind has to stop and figure it out, even if it's just a momentary flip of the mental lens. Also it is in fact too light for that environment.

Also your picture is bisected horizontally, and they have vastly different amounts of interest above and below. They don't seem to exist in the same space. The amount of detail you put in the upper half is way more fiddly than the water which has almost no attention given it. It's almost as if the artist (you) said this part is interesting but half the picture isn't worth the page space.

So that's a partial explanation of what they're saying based on what I'm seeing.

For me, I would never put the bottom line of a close up object on a natural line (like the water meets land in this case). It flattens the illusion of depth out and in this case really cuts the picture in half. And owing to the contrast in color and values, which is more than anywhere in the pic that line becomes so dominant it impairs the look at the rest.

Don't mean to be mean. But you asked and the comments had already begun and you asked for an expansion. So please see these comments as meaning to help about picture making in general using the image as a case in point.

I do however like the intention behind it. The Sci-Fi aspect of visualizing something unreal is intriguing. So keep pluggin'!
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-07-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the tips and opinions....

Is this new one (redone) any better? I was in a rush....well that does not work does it. Basically it was practice for mixing AR & Poser objects/lights etc. Now I have motivation thanks to you guys.... Rushing does not produce a nice artwork, hu.

It is a rainy day here in Paradise so I had some time to paint.....well 3d and paint....lol Practice makes perfect. I am working on it....your ideas and advice is always welcome and appreciated as always. Now I have a better understanding of how to put it all together using both programs from this experiment. Thanks guys for your help.

Name:	FuturisticCity4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	75435

nicer use of the water but now the background looks a little flat too, it's pitch black... maybe add some stars or something to explain the glow around the buildings and have a little highlights were needed like maybe on the ship and the water even..

Ahh mission impossible lol ......I started over and is this any better?

Thanks again for the input....it helps me to get motivated especially on a rainy day.

Name:	FuturisticCity5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	75438

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyray View Post
    Is this new one (redone) any better?
    Part of the problem was that you split the picture in half with the horizon line and that makes it difficult to get the image to work. One general rule is one third to two thirds, which is a good place to start. It's mistake I am always making

Try cropping out most of the light blue and bringing the horizon line down. You'll see how it helps

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

The last one is great Robert! I really love the huge moon.

The first one has the spaceship on the line of the water. Bringing it down would also help to break that line, and cropping some out and darkening the water somewhat would help too.

Hey Thanks guys...composition is everything.

I am learning a lot guys......it helps a lot.

I am practicing with Poser and Artrage together and it is very hard to do in itself, switching back and forth so much. So many details to set and check. I am also concerned with the composition and getting it right for the scene. Sci-fi is not my nack but I am trying and learning with all of your help....Thank You all. The last one is a closeup of the city with more detail. I have a problem with AR 4 now crashing when I try to use the selection tool. Weird.