ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Quiet MAN

Quiet MAN

I am a fan of all the old John Wayne movies so doing this was a lot of fun hope you enjoy.
    I am very new to artrage and could use any critiquing of my work so any comments good or bad are appreciated thank you.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think this is very good portrait of this famous actor. I do like it a lot.

Great portait well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Well you certainly got the Duke's likeness in that movie. But how did it come to get squashed vertically? Seems like the whole pick shrunk vertically. Anyway, the pic still reads great. Well done.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Well you certainly got the Duke's likeness in that movie. But how did it come to get squashed vertically? Seems like the whole pick shrunk vertically. Anyway, the pic still reads great. Well done.
    Poor choice of conversion options on my part I was tired and wasn't paying attention when I resize the image. .. I was tired you know how it is with those all nighters

He would be great if he wasn't stretched. Easy to fix that with a Transform sideways! Good painting otherwise.

We knew it, but I had to try it since copespeak mentioned it. I may have made him a little narrow, but it was merely a quick shift in width. Just for fun.

I can see a literary reference to being larger than life, but rarely wider than life -- taller maybe although his 10 gallon hat seems to have suffered with inflation. Photo models have said that the camera adds 10 pounds to ya. I think the ol' Duke made a few more quid than that, being a high paid actor and all. I wonder what it must be like being an icon like he was, people inflating and squashing your image all over the place, certainly in the public eye.

So let's see here:

Name:  attachment-3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  159.4 KB
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-05-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Welcome to the forum. The color choice is reminiscent of the old B&W films, cool effect. You got his likeness down pat. Well done. As for any critic, I would only add because, you asked, the signature is capturing a lot a attention from the portrait, simply because it's highlighted. My eyes keep going there. Easy fix with artrage. MC Escher had some great techniques in his signature.............TJ

Very great portait painting. Like to see just monochrome painting. Have those classic feel