ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: help required

help required

I can get my art to a certain point then don't know how to close the deal, so everything becomes another study. how do i finish things
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOOFUS.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	75334  

Maybe elaborate on what you want to achieve as an end result?

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Maybe elaborate on what you want to achieve as an end result?
    i couldnt get ear to look right and dont like the lack of color but if i try coloring dog i inevitably ruin it.

If you are having problems with coloring, AND the motive itself, you might consider starting out in black and white.
    Try and work in grayscale only often helps, when trying to get the depth value and lighting to feel right ... a really important thing (In my mind anyway), and what I think is one of the things that's troubling you, is the fact that you are working with too dark tones. Try not to use any absolute black or white, but work in the middle-tones. You can always add more definition with hard white and black later on. (And yeah.. there's more than 50 shades of grey.. just to be clear on that too).

If some part of a drawing is buggin' you, like say the ear on the doggy there... try and look up some references on Google, and study whatever you feel you need to proceed.
    (perhaps do a small study on a piece of paper, doodling a doggy ear, till you get a feel for it.)

Afterwards, perhaps add a "top layer" to mark out highlights and hard shadows, with lighter or darker values.

Once you are happy with your black and white image, you can easily apply colors via layering and filtering afterwards. This is not ideal coloring, but if it's hard to get it right, this is a great help... and sometimes it really turns out fantastic

When you get more comfortable with toning this way, you'll most likely start to implement colors earlier in the process, without even thinking about it.

edit: Often, when I get annoyed with a piece I'm working on I do the following:
    • I do a save
    • Flatten all layers
    • Open "Adjust layer colors"
    • Desaturate all colors
    • add more light
    • remove some contrast

And then try to figure out how to fix the things that's buggin' me, while working with greytones
    Last edited by Z1Xwitch; 05-02-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Sometimes all you need is a break. Give this a day or two to stew and then come look at it again with fresh eyes and your reference photos. You should see things with a new perspective then. At least that's what helps me.

thanks

I am so blessed to find people who are willing to help. this advice is all very useful to me

All excellent advice! I must say, I find your cute little fellow quite appealing!!!