ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: artrage is busy message when trying to print

artrage is busy message when trying to print

I've been trying to print artrage pictures and I've been getting the "artrage is busy" message box. The box just stays there and prevents any further printing actions. I've tried to print various picture and checked to see if the pictures are too large. Nothing seems to work. I've tried a new painting sized at 4x6 inches at 72dpis. Same result.
    I'm using artrage 4 on a Surface Pro. I've printed successfully before so I don't think it is related to my printer. It's an HP 5510. Any suggestions? Thanks

First let me say I'm on a Mac and have an Epson printer so not familiar with your setup but…
    Have you tried exporting your painting as an image file from ArtRage and then printing from that image file? If nothing else this would free up ArtRage.
    If your printer still just hangs when printing from the image file it might indicate a problem with the printer driver.
    If it prints OK from the image file then this might suggest that the problem was with ArtRage connecting to the printer.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Mark and Snickelson, I had that happen last week and in frustration, just took it out and put it in Photoshop for a print. Now, you have jogged my memory, I will have to try again, though I am a bit busy today. My big printer is put away under my desk and requires time getting it out and setting it up.

When you go to print, ArtRage uses a standard Windows print dialog, so the problem shouldn't be related to ArtRage itself, but let's see what we can find out.
    How are you trying to print? Are you going via File -> Print or via a keyboard shortcut?
    How long does the message remain?
    What causes the message to first appear? ( i.e. at what point in the process does it appear )
    Do you ever see the print dialog? ( the one with the name of the printer and the printing options in it ) It sounds to me like ArtRage is requesting the print dialog and it's either not working or has appeared behind the application so you continue to see the 'ArtRage is busy' message which would normally be in the background.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for responding. I use file - print (not the keyboard shortcut). When I hit enter the HP print dialog box appears along with the busy message. the little dot is not moving. The message stays until I hit cancel on the print dialog box. This problem is not specific to any one painting. I've tried to print Other paintings,all of which I've printed previously. I think this started when I was trying to print an odd size. (3.75 x 5.63 at 72 dpi). but I'm not sure.

I can print successfully from the windows file menu after saving the painting as a .jpg file. But I can't print the artrage ptg files. I suppose there are work arounds but I want to print from the artrage program where I have the ability to print at higher resolutions etc. Should I reinstall the printer. Or is a reinstall of artrage an option?

Thanks for the information. here is what should happen:

When you go to print, ArtRage displays a busy dialog at that point as the print dialog is open. This is because ArtRage is waiting for the user to either confirm or cancel printing so that it can continue.
    The print dialog should appear in front of the busy dialog, not underneath it ( they may not overlap initially but if you drag the print dialog around it should be in front of the busy dialog )
    When you cancel the print dialog or click 'print', the print dialog should close and the busy dialog should also close.

If this doesn't match what you're seeing, could you email me at support@artrage.com with the following information so I can do some further troubleshooting with you:

1/ What happens if you click 'print' in the print dialog?
    2/ Is the print dialog appearing in front or behind of the 'ArtRage is busy' dialog ( You should be able to drag it around to check )
    3/ If possible, attach a screenshot to your email of the Artrage window with the print dialog open.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I moved the boxes and was able to print successfully. The art rage is busy box then disappeared. It never occurred to be to move the boxes so I thank you for your help.